Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using spartan 3e starter kit as stepper motor driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytmm

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spartan 3e stepper motor

Hello;

I want to control a stepper motor with spartan 3e starter kit. I have found a source code to control the motor with XC2C32A CPLD at xilinx website. There is a XC2C64A CPLD on the spartan 3E. I'm not sure if I can use the code safely for the spartan 3E. If there is anyone who work about it before please help me

thank you

Re: spartan 3e stepper motor

Hello ytmm,

That sounds very much like something I'm doing. Although in my case it's a Nexys2 board with spartan-3e.

The basics of stepper control are actually pretty simple. It's as soon as you want to do anything useful with it that you get into the fun stuff. :p

I'm not 100% sure if the xilinx code you mention implements things like midband compensation and current waveform morphing, but I seriously doubt that. Whether you need that would depend on your application of course. If you are driving very light loads at low speeds, then the xilinx code you mention just might do all you need. If on the other hand you are driving a big gantry CNC router to mess with metal then you might need something more.

In any case, take a look at . It's got tons of good info by resident stepper guru Mariss Freimanis and others. I think if you expect some ready to run code you're out of luck. If however you want to learn about fpga/cpld as stepper controller and don't mind doing some work yourself then it's a great starting point.

hope that helps.

Thanks for your answer, mrflibble.

Now I want to ask you another question. How can I connect stepper motor to FPGA? I couldn't find an interface circuit for FPGAs. It should be different from the circuits using with microcontrollers.

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back