Status
Not open for further replies.

Haraldovs

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried posting this thread earlier but it just vanished, so hope it doesnt appear twice.

I am doing a masterthesis where the AHB protocol is a central subject, and I am confused about
where we use multilayer AHB-Lite instead of AHB.

I should not describe all the details as it is not relevant, but I am designing wrappers to our masters
and slaves, and the goal is to automatically generate either an AHB-LIte or AHB system from
an abstract model, where type depends on the model attributes.

So far I have a working single layer AHB-Lite system, and the next step is to add more masters.

Will it be beneficial to use multilayer AHB-Lite as an inbetween to the AHB-Lite and the AHB?
Or does the multilayer only give advantages in terms of design flexibility and bandwidth?

any thoughts here are very welcome

best

In my opinion a multi-layer AHB-Lite is not often employed.
As I see it, for each layer of AHB-Lite there will be a master. And these masters should also remain connected.
So why not directly have a AHB system, instead of AHB-Lite multi-layer, where multiple masters and multiple slaves comes into the picture.
Moreover in my opinion it is probably easier to manage a multi-master/slave AHB system rather than a multi-layer AHB-Lite system.

I read somewhere someone advocating the use of multilayer as most slaves aren't split capable anyway, therefore saving area on arbitration
logic and less complex masters. But if I understand correctly, each master has its own interconnect layer so the area argument doesn't seem right.

What about managing a multilayer system is harder than a multi-master AHB system?
The multi-master arbitration and master logic seem very complex.

Correct.
There are many types of arbitration schemes that can be employed and each one has its own complexity + merits/demerits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…