Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using commercial FPGA on industrial temp range

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

is it possible to use a commercial temperature range FPGA on industrial temp range, if we limit the clock frequencies?

for example to 1MHz. Industrial is more expensive, and my application could run on lower freq too. I want to use Actel Fusion FPGA.

It is possible.

But, You oneself must test commerical chip at -40 .. +85C temperature range.

One product line is pass temperature range test.
Chip with stable characteristic in -40 .. +85C temperature range become industrial chip product line.

I.e. industrial chip is -40 .. +85C stable rejection result from common product line.

Usually the component has no problems, but on the long time the plastic body can make some troubles due the different dilatation factor between plastic and metal.
This is more evident on the chip taht dissipate high power.

Mandi

thats the point, what if i use it at low frequency?
for example a big logic system can run on 40MHz on a given FPGA, then it has to run on 40MHz at 85deg.
what if i use it on 1MHz?

usually FPGA that have an extended temperature range works slower than commercial.
i think that is not a speed problem.
Also if a single device works at low temperature may be that not all future devices works fine.

G.

Status
Not open for further replies.