Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using cat 5 shielded lan cable for digital data communication to pic controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

raman00084

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in my project i am having 8 sensors. the sensors are placed 5 meters apart from the main pic control board. from the sensor to main pic control board i am using this LAN cable. for example if the first sensor is active it will send a logic 24 high through the lan cable this is receiver at the receiver side digital input board (opto-coupler-pc817) based then the signal is converted to 5v and fed to the pic controller io.

my dout is lan cables are ment for differential signal transmission because of twisting pair. in my project i am using the 4 twisted pair that is 8 wires for 8 digital input. can i use LAN cables it is correct? kindly help

regards
kalyan

Shielded CAT 5 may work but be prone to stray CM fields but opto isolated should give decent CM rejection but some crosstalk between sensors. May need filter cap. ( ~100pf/m ?)

So it depends on noise, speed and crosstalk and resulting SNR.

Might be fine if you verify with stray transient and hum tests.

Shielded CAT 5 may work but be prone to stray CM fields but opto isolated should give decent CM rejection but some crosstalk between sensors. May need filter cap. ( ~100pf/m ?)

So it depends on noise, speed and crosstalk and resulting SNR.

Might be fine if you verify with stray transient and hum tests.

ok thank you. if i make my sensors differential using line driver am26ls31 and transmit 4 sensor data in lan cable then it will be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back