Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using capacitors to reduce UPS switching delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaminathsri

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My cordless phone is connected to an offline UPS whose switching time is large enough to disconnect a call during the switching time.

I was wondering if I could use a set of capacitors between the DC adapter out and the cordless base in order to provide current during the switching time. How do I go about doing this? also how do i make sure that the current form the capacitor is steady and does not damage the equipment?

Well you cannot just connect a capacitor and hope to solve the problem it is a very riscky solution and the UPS's output is AC so using an electrolytic capacitor is meaningless and you may damage the capacitor very easily! these capacitors are used to design DC sources only! so I think there is no solution for your case but to buy a more reliable UPS.

MNFsoft

What I meant was placing a capacitor based circuit at the between the DC adapter of the cordless phone and its base station.

AC -> DC adapter of phone -> Capacitor -> Phone

Would a capacitor still be useless in this situation or can I adapt a circuit to accommodate it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.