Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Android as internet gateway if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hate

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Let me make my situation clear first. I have a LAN at home with lots of different devices (desktops, laptops, NAS, printer, IP cam etc...) connected to a router maintaining the network. I also have an x10i android phone which I can also connect to my home LAN. Now the problem is that I recently canceled my land-line internet connection because of lack of support and quality in my area and I don't ever plan to subscribe for an ADSL connection again which was the only choice I had for a land-line connection. After that being said I'm planning to use my 3g connection over Android to connect my LAN to internet if possible. Speed, jitter, lag etc... are of no importance as I'll use the internet for my basic needs. I also don't care about rooting my phone if need be. My LAN should function whether an internet connection is present or not. Below are the things I tried or thought of:

1- Hotspotting works for the devices with wireless adapters. Unfortunately I have lots of devices without a wireless adapter.
2- I don't want to tether my phone to a PC and share the connection over it because I don't want any computer need to be open for others to have internet access.
3- I've checked routers with 'repeater bridge' abilities. I may buy one in case that works. But I have doubts if the LAN will continue to function if the phone is not present and I'll be able to access the phone's SD over the rest of the LAN if it's present.
4- Is it possible to use the phone as an internet gateway with some software? I mean I'll connect my phone to my LAN over wireless with the router maintaining the main network, not with 'repeater bridge' or hotspot and my phone will be used as gateway. I've seen some solutions to enable 3g and wireless at the same time on Android but I don't know how to enable the phone as a gateway if that's possible. ;/

Any ideas to direct me preferably in the 4th direction or some other possible direction to achieve this? Thnx...

I think you can use wireless router with 3G support if I understand you correctly.

Well that was something I also tried. Most (at least the ones available in my area) 3g routers support only 3g modems and I don't want to subscribe to a new 3g data line when I have it available on my phone. Besides this the ones that can also tether from my phone don't have enough connectors and capabilities for my current network setup to function. Thnx for the idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.