Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a PIC Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrobuz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have used AVR microcontrollers before (using avr-gcc library) and the arduino platform. But for a project I have to use a PIC microcontroller for the first time. I have a few doubts:
1) I am planning to use pic32mx250f128b which has a built in USB. I wanted to know how easy will it to implement this USB functionality across windows, mac and linux (all 3 platforms).
2)A suitable IDE for the development

Hi,
I have used AVR microcontrollers before (using avr-gcc library) and the arduino platform. But for a project I have to use a PIC microcontroller for the first time. I have a few doubts:
1) I am planning to use pic32mx250f128b which has a built in USB. I wanted to know how easy will it to implement this USB functionality across windows, mac and linux (all 3 platforms).
2)A suitable IDE for the development

Hi,

Have a look at this dev board and all its user manuals - that should give you a better idea of how its done.
https://uk.farnell.com/microchip/dm320003-2/pic32-can-usb-starter-kit/dp/1778060

Also see Microchips site which has a full section on USB implementation.

Thanks wp100.
Also could you shed some light on the IDE's to use.
I found one **broken link removed**
Will this work?

Thanks wp100.
Also could you shed some light on the IDE's to use.
I found one **broken link removed**
Will this work?

Hi,

Microchips MPlab IDE 8.9x or MPlab X, the former being more stable.

That board you show uses a bootloader and other software, perhaps might be wiser to stick with Microchips ide and software, though you would need a separate programmer like the Pickit3.
The Microchip board has an inbuilt /dedicated programmer /debugger and is set up for usb training plus other features.

Edit,

You do not have to use a Pic32 for USB, the much simpler 8 or 16 bit chips will do it as well **broken link removed**

Hard to say which is the better choice, though I have not used either, my choice would be the Microchip as it should be more compatible and get you going quicker.

I find that the free tools put forth by Microchip are fine for everyday use. Don't call me an expert on it, but I think mikroelektronika costs too much for low level designs, ironically what its intended audience is. But again, don't quote me. The PICKit3 costs $45 last I checked. It may have recently gone down. Or up. I haven't checked recently.
I just checked the MikroE programmer, and by what I have gathered it is $99. Not worth it compared to the PK3.

If you are interested in USB over a PIC, check out this page: **broken link removed**

It is the download page for the MLA, which includes Microchips USB stack.

If you browse around Microchips website, you will find lots of application notes, as well as webinars and other things to assist you in design and programming of your device. In addition, each stack in the MLA has a help file to explain use as well as outline the API.

Last edited:

I find that the free tools put forth by Microchip are fine for everyday use. Don't call me an expert on it, but I think mikroelektronika costs too much for low level designs, ironically what its intended audience is. But again, don't quote me. The PICKit3 costs $45 last I checked. It may have recently gone down. Or up. I haven't checked recently.

The mikroe ide and compiler are totally free and can be used for any purpose. The limitation is the size of code. In practice almost every beginner will be inside that limit.
Download it and try it. Like I said -its free and streets ahead of microchips offerings. If you want the same facilities you have to pay a lot more from another third party vendor - microchip doesnt do that much in an integrated fashion. What they do is good quality (I'm not a microchip knocker) but its all very disjointed. They are trying to catch up
(I noticed just last year they seem to be waking up) but they are a long way away just yet.

If you are doing more than one project I'd suggest its microchip that gets very expensive in both time and money.

I have both the mikro programmer and a pickit 3 here.
The downside to mikroe is you will have to wait a few months if microchip release a new family with different programming requirements (not often but it has happened)
Also I had an issue with the pickits data plug working loose after a few uses. Just a dry joint but the design isnt brilliant.
The downside to microchip themselves is their poor level of support and activity for beginners and hobbyists. Their forum is rubbish.
Microchip (quite rightly) concentrates on professional designers and this shows in their low number of inexpensive add-ons dev boards and other tools
as well as their poor forum.

I use pics professionally but my daily use is mikroe. I use microchips services as second line support when anything weird happens.
Incidently if you go for a mikroe dev board (such as an easyPIC7) you dont need a seperate programmer - its built in.
You can still use microchip for data sheets app notes and their brilliant offline (or online) chip selector.

Actually if you compare the world of PIC chips to that of ARM's or other kit - we are very well served all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back