Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 4 channel Oscilloscope as waveform monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAinscough

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know how to setup a Siglent SDS 1104X (4 ch 100Mhz) to monitor HDMI video signals and vsync timing? My gut tells me it should be possible and my wallet wants to avoid buying one of these:

Cheers, Rob.

I don't think you are going to be able to use a 100 MHz scope on the 250 Mbps to 3.4Gbps serial differential links that are used in HDMI. Besides the information like vsync is encoded into those serial links (though I don't know the exact details) and you won't be able trigger on a vsync like you could on analog video signals.

Thank you Ads-ee ... so Waveform Monitor is my only option?

The question is not quite clear, which signal properties do you exactly want to monitor? According to the advertizing link, the Tektronix device does not display the Gbps HDMI waveforms, e.g. to check the signal quality in an eye diagram. That could be done with a really fast oscilloscope (e.g. 10 GHz bandwidth or above) which costs a lot more than the said device.

FvM,

I'm primarily interested in the Vsync signal timing.

Cheers, Rob.

To extract Vsync timing you have to decode the data stream of HDMI to find it. It is embedded as part of the 10-bit data for channel 0 which seems to be the blue similar to the old analog method used.

You might be able to design an FPGA to decode the HDMI and then extract whatever you are interested in.

Ok thank you, FPGA definitely beyond my knowledge level.

Cheers, Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back