Not open for further replies.

quattro44

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.
I would like to ask for comments regarding my problem.
I am currently designing a GSM system that requires me to use 50-ohm coplanar waveguide on one system and 50-ohm microstrip on another. Along these impedance controlled lines, I have impedance matching networks. We are still in the prototyping stage of these circuits so I might need to change their impedance matching system.
Now i would like to know what you think if I swap an inductor that is in series with my impedance controlled line with a 0 Ohm resistor, should I not need the inductor for impedance matching anymore. How much signal loss will the 0 Ohm resistor introduce?
Thank you in advance.

Depends on how big the pad sizes are (shunt capacitance). For 0603 and smaller resistor, probably 0.2 dB, maybe less.

There is inductance associated with 0 ohm resistor as well as any via used to connect them. Generally, sum runs between 0.5-2 nH.

Zero ohm resistors are also not zero ohms. Typically made with untrimmed low resistance ink, netting between 0.1 to 0.4 ohms.

Last edited:

Thanks for your reply biff44. So I should use resistors in small packages.
But how will the resistor affect the impedance of the line?

---------- Post added at 02:33 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

Thanks RCinFLA. I am aware of the small inductance that any via and 0 Ohm resistor introduce, that is why im being cautious with using them. But my main concern is that will it cause impedance mismatch and large insertion loss in using a 0 Ohm resistor as compared to using just a continous trace of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…