Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

used ext oscillator without setting fuse bits - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot05

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I used an Atmega8 whose fuse bits was not set to use an external oscillator(fuse bits were at factory settings), in a circuit with a 12Mhz oscillator and powered on the circuit.

needless to say the program did not work. Now when I try to program this Atmega8, Avrdude says "AVR device not responding"

Is there any way I can get my atmega8 to work again?

needless to say the program did not work
Your considerations are not plausible. In fact, by connecting an external clock source to XTAL1, you get the oportunity to access an ATmega indpendent of the presently set oscillator fuses. See datasheet, "Serial Downloading", Figure 112.

The factory fuse configuration sets internal RC oscillator and allows programming without (or with) external oscillator. If programming doesn't work, I would rather expect a trivial hardware problem.

Your considerations are not plausible.
since the atmega that i had used by mistake was not flashed even once after being bought, i said that.
There were 2 atmega8 s side by side and I got confused.

In fact, by connecting an external clock source to XTAL1, you get the oportunity to access an ATmega indpendent of the presently set oscillator fuses. See datasheet, "Serial Downloading", Figure 112.

The factory fuse configuration sets internal RC oscillator and allows programming without (or with) external oscillator. If programming doesn't work, I would rather expect a trivial hardware problem.

Since the programmer can burn other atmega8 s, and gives error for only this one atmega, that is why there should not be any hardware problem.

And the datasheet that you mentioned, is it the datasheet for Atmega8? Or some separate application note?

I meant the ATmega8 datasheet.

Assuming your observations are correct, I see two possible reasons, why the device can't be accessed by a serial programmer:
- It's damaged
- The SPIEN fuse has been previously reset by a parallel programmer. In this case, a parallel programmer would be needed to re-enable it.

I meant the ATmega8 datasheet.

Assuming your observations are correct, I see two possible reasons, why the device can't be accessed by a serial programmer:
- It's damaged
- The SPIEN fuse has been previously reset by a parallel programmer. In this case, a parallel programmer would be needed to re-enable it.

I am using a parallel port BSD programmer.
How can I read the fuse bit setting of a flashed chip??

Status
Not open for further replies.