Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] usb_future technologies_devices_international(ftdi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi to all...
actually i checked the communication is taking place via the rs232 cable. For that i installed the vcp driver and tried to communicate using the hyper terminal . badly , it wasn't communicating. i gave the 16(trans) and 17(rec) pins to the rs232 cable's corresponding rec and trans pins... and ground to 5th pin. why it is not communicating ?
pls help

You can not connect the TX/RX pins of the FTDI chip directly to a RS-232 cable connected to a PC's RS-232 Port. You would need a MAXIM RS-232 transceiver device or equivalent, otherwise the FTDI chip could be easily damaged.

---------- Post added at 07:40 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

RS-232 voltages levels can be in the +/- 15V range, which greatly exceeds your FT2232H devices +5v I/O pin tolerant rating.

oh ... i connected already! . the module is detecting . it is showing the status(com3, com4 like that) in the device manager . other than this is there any other go to test the communication ?

Let's keep our fingers crossed! I hope you have not damaged the device.

Yes, simply short a channel TX/RX pair together, like pins 16 and 17, attach terminal program to the corresponding VCP and you should see the characters you type in displayed in the terminal program.

You're creating a simple loopback device with this method.

BigDog

i tried that one also . i simply shorted those two(17,16), communication is not happening.

Is this before or after you connected the FTDI's TX/RX pair directly to a RS-232 port? Also did you try both VCPs, COM3 and COM4 or what ever they appear as?

definitely after.......u mean to say that communication not happening because of that improper connection i did ?
i did both com3 and com4...no response at all.

Last edited:

- Did you check in system control manager, that COM3 and COM4 are actually the USB module's virtual com ports?
- Did you install the necessary jumpers on the module to supply an IO voltage?

P.S.: Is the module a DLP-USB1232H? Then the pin numbers in your previous post are incorrect.

Last edited:

hi fvm
My module is FT2232HQ USB MINI MODULE.
I thoroughly checked by unplugging and plugging,those are the correct ports only.
And i connected a jumper on the cn3 1 and cn 3 pins (to make it as bus powered).

definitely after.......u mean to say that communication not happening because of that improper connection i did ?
i did both com3 and com4...no response at all.

I hope not.

hi fvm
My module is FT2232HQ USB MINI MODULE.
I thoroughly checked by unplugging and plugging,those are the correct ports only.
And i connected a jumper on the cn3 1 and cn 3 pins (to make it as bus powered).

I'm not familiar with the "FT2232HQ Mini Module."

Is this your module:

How about the VIO pins? Which RxD and TxD pins did you use? There are no respective pins like 16(trans) and 17(rec)?

yya, thats my module

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

They have mentioned in the datsheet that 16 and 17 are rs232 transmit and receive pins .

They have mentioned in the datsheet that 16 and 17 are rs232 transmit and receive pins .
Yes, these are the chip pins (AD0 and AD1). But which module pins did you connect?

i shorted cn3 pins 16 and 17. you mean to say that those are wrong ?

you mean to say that those are wrong
Absolutely. AD0 (TxD) connects to pin CN2-7 and AD1 (RxD) to CN2-10. The bad thing with the FT2232H Mini Module datasheet is, that it doesn't mention the pin functions. So you have to read both in parallel, FT2232H chip and module datasheet.

In addition, both below points for bus-powered operation have to implemented. You only said about first one, yet.
1) Connect VBUS to VCC (CN3, pin 1 to CN3, pin 3). This connection takes the power from the USB bus (VBUS) and connects it to the voltage regulator input on the FT2232H Mini Module. The voltage regulator, in turn, provides V3V3, VPLL and VUSB power inputs to the FT2232H chip.

2) Connect V3V3 to VIO (CN2, pins 1, 3 & 5 to CN2, pins 11 & 21 and CN3, pins 12 & 22). This connection provides the correct 3.3VDC operating voltage for VCCIO on the FT2232H chip.

Thanks for the reply fvm.
I changed the connection and checked(shorted cn2 7 and 10 ) through the hyper terminal , badly it is not responding ...
please help

Follow the datasheet suggestions, and the device is supposed to work, if not being damaged before. Some points can be checked with a multimeter, e.g. a power supply voltage present at the VIO pins mentioned in my previous post, the idle state of TxD (3.3V) and PWREN# (0V) pins. Also RTS# and DTR# should switch to low, when hyperterminal connects with default port configuration. All voltages referred to GND, of course.

u said the cn2 7 and 10 are the TX and RX pins . from where did you get this data ?
if possible could i have the link ?

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

sorry fvm
i didn't check the mini module's data sheet. i thought you got that from somewhere. sorry.
anyway thanks for your help

As I said, you have to read the FT2232H Mini Module datasheet and FT2232H chip datasheet. You clarified, that you have the latter, and you should have get the former with the module. Otherwise it can be downloaded from FTDIchip.com.

u said the cn2 7 and 10 are the TX and RX pins . from where did you get this data ?
if possible could i have the link ?

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

sorry fvm
i didn't check the mini module's data sheet. i thought you got that from somewhere. sorry.
anyway thanks for your help

Here are the two relevant datasheets:

Datasheet FT2232H

Additional Information:

FTDI FT2232H Product Page

Ciao

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.