Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB2.0 with 100 mil header

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudjung

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Folks,

I'm designing a usb2.0 related things which require a connection between motherboard(host) and custom usb2.0 device. There's one document form intel called " Front panel I/O design guide". This document suggest to use normal 100 mil header for the internal connection for the usb. I'm just wondering whether the normal 100 mil header can meet the 90 ohm diferential impedance which require by the USB spec. I couldn't seem to find this dat. Anyone has any info. about this?

Thanks,
KJ.

The USB 2.0 spec doesn't specify reflection factors and similar signal quality parameters for internal device wiring. It's clear, that the 0.1" header connections form an impedance discontinuity. I notice, that front panel USB connections are often failing at high speed, in so far, I assume there is a problem. Unfortunately, it's a combination of several parts that cause the failure, so it's difficult to hold the pin header responsible for it.

So, even Intel recommend something that is not so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back