Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to RS232 converter... found

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadolphine2000

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb to serial converter ics

Hi everyone,...

I finally managed to founf the USB-RS232 converter. I found it at RadioShack®, but it's quite expensive.
Could anyone tell me if it will work with my PIC programmer, Cell phone cable or not?

I really appreciate all your help as I bought a cable but it didn't work so I returned it back.

Here is a picture for the cable.

Thanks again for your help.

cp210x reliable driver

I use the FTDI modules for conversion of rs232 to usb.

Sometimes USB to serial convertor cables deliver me problems when I want to connect them to my embedded electronic boards. someone told me this is because of the 'virtual comport' (the driver) gives some problems.

https://www.ftdichip.com/

download usb port driver 6 version 1.0.2154.0

With your PIC serial programmer (with no supervisory MCU on programmer board) will not work.

usb to serial converter not working

Thanks guys for your consideration, but could anyone explain in details?

What about the box inbetween the two terminals? What is its function?

Thanks again.

my usb to rs232 converter does not work

seadolphine2000 said:
Thanks guys for your consideration, but could anyone explain in details?

What about the box inbetween the two terminals? What is its function?

Thanks again.
Well, its function is to ... convert RS-232 to USB. They are using a certain chip to do the conversion, such as FTDI's FT232AM, TI's TUSB3410, or something similar.

The real RS-232 signals will be packed into USB frames, and transferred to/from the host PC. The application software just uses a virtual COM port (created by the USB driver) to access the converter. From the application software's point of view, there is no differences between a virtual COM port and a real COM port.

Cheers,

ftdi chips in pakistan

The cable consists of two parts..
- USB to Serial IC
- RS-232 level converter (such as MAX232)

* Comment an addtional description about USB to Serial IC
Recently The IC vendor introduces one IC solution...
FTDI's FT232 series and Silab's CP2102...
Both ICs are not necessary the X-tal,
only needed just a few capacitors and several resistors.

Of course, if you need the RS-232 level signals,
then the RS-232 level convertor is needed...

usb ti rs 232c cable in india

Thanks guys for these replies, I really appreciate it.

My last question: Is this final? Will it work?

I'm asking again since it's quite expensive for me to buy, then realize that it's not working.

Thanks again very much for your patience.

usb=converter=rs232

Unless you tell us exactly what you will connecting to it and somebody here has already tried then I think you will only know when you try one yourself.

I've no idea where you come from but these USB to RS232 convertors are very cheap on eBay, RadioShack is possibly the most expensive source.

blackbox usb to serial driver download

These devices are available from other stores like Fry's Electronics or Best Buy. I bought a cheap one at Fry's. It was less than $10. I use it all the time with Atmel controllers and have no problems. I can connect to either the microcontroller itself, or connect to a JTAG ICE BOX and control the Atmel parts that way.
Radio Shack has always had the policy that if an item does not work for you, it can be returned for a full refund. If Radio Shack is your only option, I would suggest buying one and keeping all the original packaging and the receipt. Should it not work to your satisfaction, I think you have 30 days to return it and get your money back.

EBay has these items for cheap prices also. Before buying from EBay check the seller's feedback to make sure they are reliable.

In closing, these devices have a major quirk that causes some people to believe that they are flakey. Every time they are plugged into a different USB port, they are assigned a different COM port number. Therefore, if you configure the device for your application and get everything working, then next week plug it into a different USB port, you can get problems if the COM port number is different. Either switch back to the original USB port, or go to the Control Panel of Windows and force the new COM port back to the old settings.

ffffff rs232 read

I have problems using my usb to serial convertor cable (it is build around a Prolific chip) for programming my ATtiny2313 board...

Do you know the correct settings for communicating with it? I have tried everything.

attiny2313 usb to rs232

Hai

Here is the one that doesnt uses a usb to rs232 chip

**broken link removed**

Regards
Nandhu

pic usb to rs232 converter

My cheapy device is using the FTDI chipset. The default Windows settings are 19200, 8, N, 1, None. However, I believe the applications will override these settings at will. This device has worked well with my AVR JTAG ICE, the AVR itself and numerous other COM port devices. It works with the bootloader in my AVR Butterfly as well.

If you device is not working properly, I would contact the manufacturer and see if there is an updated driver.

avr usb2rs converter

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your help.
Second,
Banjo wrote:
This device has worked well with my AVR JTAG ICE, the AVR itself and numerous other COM port devices. It works with the bootloader in my AVR Butterfly as well.

Would you please upload a photo or the link to your device?

Thanks again very much guys for your support.

usb to rs232 at radioshack

well if u are enthusiastic u can use tusb3410 and make ur own

usb virtual com ports attiny

rashslash,..

Thanks for your concern, but I need something reliable, something that I shouldn't worry about. That's why I'm searching and asking.

Thanks again.

software convert usb port to virtual com

I checked my device for a Model # or label and found none. I located the original mini install CD and found that it contains the drivers but no manufacturer info. I think these were bundled especially for Fry's Electronics and were never labeled. The device is just a small plastic blob with an DB9 on one end and a USB on the other. The entire device is only about 2" long. The package came with just the converter and the mini-cd.

I think the ones that work best are FTDI chipset. However, all should work if the drivers are OK.

Perhaps the real issue is the PIC programmer software. Perhaps the software is making direct reads and writes to the COM port addresses that would be on a physical motherboard. This would probably not work as the USB COM port is a virtual device. I think the software has to do accesses through the OS for the USB stuff to work. Just a thought. Perhaps you could query the PIC forums to see which USB devices are working there.

real rs-232 usb

Thanks guys for all your help.

Unfortunately, the FTDI chips are unavailable where I live. So, it's impossible to build one myself. That's why I'm asking if the RadioShack one would work or not.

Thanks again for your time.

jtag ice prolific

I am developing using a microchip pic with usart for RS232. I think to stablish a bluetooth interface. My first idea was to use a parani interface (but it is expensive, 50euros + shipment). I read about the rs232 to usb converter, as I have a bluetooth usb dongle. Do you think the combination pic + rs232-usb + usb dongle could works?

thanks

ftdi ic ft232am usb-serial conversor

nice found dude
can you give me the detail where i can buy it?

prolific usb-serial 3312

No it will not work. Because,
Bth dongle and usb2rs are both devices and for attachment one should be host like PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.