Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usb to parallel port converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

piyush manavar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all
i am working in robotics field.
i have a robots.
but the cost is so high(Rs.16000) and i want to develop same kind of robot with low cost robot.
so i have replaced all the sensors with some low cost sensors with compromise in accuracy.
in this robot i am using 89s52 microcontroller.
and i want to program it with my laptop ant i can it program with parallel port(printer port) which is not available in laptop.

so i want to use usb to parallel port converter.
any body has information regarding ckt and driver please reply me.

Thanks

Regards
Piyush Manavar

if your 8051 programmer is going to use parallel port bit controlling then usb2lpt converters will not be suitable.

srizbf
30thjune2010

USB to Parallel port converters are not suitable for programmer. They are designed for printers alone. So dont go for it.

Better option is usb programmer

Nandhu

piyush manavar said:
and i want to program it with my laptop ant i can it program with parallel port(printer port) which is not available in laptop.

On a machine with a "real" parallel port, it's possible for software to change the state of the port and observe the response in less than a microsecond. With full-speed USB, it is essentially impossible for software to ask a device to do something and get a response in less than a millisecond; with high-speed USB, the time drops to 1/8 millisecond, but that's still over 100 times as long as for a parallel port. To be sure, a high-speed device can send thousands of bytes in each 1/8ms time slot, but that doesn't help with the case of just trying to send one byte and get an immediate response.

USB-to-printer-port cables work by buffering a number of bytes of data and telling the PC that each byte of data the PC wants to send has been acknowledged by the printer as soon as it's in the buffer (even though it hasn't yet actually been sent). It will keep on doing this until its buffer is full, whereupon it will report that the printer is busy until enough bytes have been sent to free up some buffer space.

This works pretty well for most printer applications. The only difficulty is that the PC won't know exactly how much data was actually sent before e.g. the printer ran out of paper, but in most cases the PC won't care about such things. Unfortunately, applications which use the printer port for things other than printing do care about such things and can only work poorly--if at all--with USB-to-parallel cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.