Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PCI expansion card help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaser32004

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I need to design a PCI card that can function as a normal USB PCI expansion card. Thus if you plug in a flash disk the contents must be accessible on the PC. Any ideas on where to start with this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Check out Altera's MAX II Development Kit, it has both PCI and USB Reference Designs, plus it's only $150 from Altera, quite reasonable when you consider most dev kits.

Altera MAX II Development Kit

That should get you started in the right direction.

Added after 9 minutes:

Also check out:

OpenCores

And

ComBlock

Both have cores and docs for the PCI and USB to aid in your quest.
Also there are several good books out there on the subject, just search Amazon for USB and PCI.

I read your email. Which PLX chip are you consider?

I'm actually using a PLX PCI9656 on a reconfigurable computing board I use quite frequently. It creates a bridge from PCI to local bus.

I've believed you shouldn't recreate the wheel if the current model serves your purpose. So if there is a chip available to perform the required task, then use it.

Post the model of the PLX chip and I'll be glad to give you my opinion and any useful tips.

The OXPCIe200 for USB and the OXPCIe952 for serail/parallel. I still nead to read more about these

https://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=35653,35654,35652, from Intel to see if they will work.

So, all of the PCI outputs of the above chips will go trough a multiplexer. I will then "sense" which port is in use to choose the appropriate output.

Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back