Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Urgent help for the difference between interlock and stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank.wang87

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
From my perspective, when a pipeline is interlocked, it will generate a pipeline stall. Who can tell me the detail differences between interlock and stall. Thanks.

where did you get this term interlocked?

If you have it somewhere in the text, please reproduce the exact lines from the text.

From the book written by John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson, Computer Architecture-A Quantitative Approach, 4th edition, in appendix A, A-20.The following is the content:
The load instruction has a delay or latency that cannot be eliminated by for-warding alone. Instead, we need to add hardware, called a pipeline interlock, to preserve the correct execution pattern. In general, a pipeline interlock detects a hazard and stalls the pipeline until the hazard is cleared. In this case, the interlock stalls the pipeline, beginning with the instruction that wants to use the data until the source instruction produces it. This pipeline interlock introduces a stall or bubble, just as it did for the structural hazard. The CPI for the stalled instruction increases by the length of the stall (1 clock cycle in this case).

From my perspective, if a pipeline is interlocked, it must generate a stall.
what is your opinion? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back