Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Upsampling - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Girly_girl

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
whats the advantage of using Upsampling in an OFDM modem? and why do we use it?

is the other approach using DAC?

How does the upsampling factor affects the data ?

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure about the OFDM, but with upsampling you increase your symbol rate. To get an accurate answer you might have to tell us where the upsampling occurs (before the IDFT, after it, etc.). If the iDFT output is upsampled, it may be to decrease inter-symbol interference.

If I'm not mixing abbreviations completely, then DAC mean Digital to Analog Converter, and it is used to convert the digital signal (in that case the iDFT output, most likely filtered by a raised cosine filter) to an analog signal that can be mixed with your carrier frequency.

If my assumption (upsampling after iDFT) is correct, then the data is completely uneffected, just the symbol rate is higher, depending on you upsampling factor.
In general: the data should never be different after upsampling, it is just there at a higher sampling frequency (and if not filtered after the upsampling with images of the original signal)

Regards,
Andreas

many thanks..
ur assumption is correct.. Thank u..
yea my upsampling factor is 1 .. hence nothing is changed..
Thanks alot
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.