Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Up/down counter with 2 clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

santais

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I'm currently trying to build a circuit, where you basicly have a counter which counts up or down and shows it on a 7 segment display.
Quite simple so far.

It has to be able to count from the range 0-999, but again that is just 3 counters, with following 3 decoders. Anyway my questions are:

Do you guys know any common up/down counter with 2 clocks? The main idea is, that you have 2 buttons, one button which counts up and the other which counts down. I've been trying with a 4510, but you can only use one switch to count with, and the other switch to change the U/P input from low to high. So that's not going to work. Been looking for some time, but just can't seem to find any setup with those, who has two clocks. I.e. then I found a 74193, but just can't find any setup to it :) (Very new to electronics).

Secondly, I only want to count up the even numbers, 2,4,6,8.. and so on. How do I make the conter count twice, everytime it receives a pulse? Really really lost on this part :)

Question: what are you trying to achieve?

If you use two clocks counting in opposite directions all you get is an average of the difference between them.

Do you want the count to increase by two as each pulse arrives or are you trying to make one pulse into two. There is a difference, in one case the counter changes by two and misses alternate numbers, in the other case it counts all numbers and will momentarily show a single count change before reaching its final value. If you are using two clocks the difference becomes very important.

Brian.

Question: what are you trying to achieve?

If you use two clocks counting in opposite directions all you get is an average of the difference between them.

Do you want the count to increase by two as each pulse arrives or are you trying to make one pulse into two. There is a difference, in one case the counter changes by two and misses alternate numbers, in the other case it counts all numbers and will momentarily show a single count change before reaching its final value. If you are using two clocks the difference becomes very important.

Brian.

Thanks for the answer :)

What I want is to make the counter increase by two, as each pulse arrives.

And about the two clocks. Again I'm not that much into this yet, so I was thinking that when you had two clocks, they would be independent of each other in a way, which allowed you to control the counter in both ways (increase/decrease). But as you just stated, that doesn't seem to be the case.

So what I'm trying to achieve, is that you can take a basketball scoretable as an example. For every time they score, the counter increases by two (I know it also can increase by 3 on long short, but that is irrelevant in this example). However, let's say that the goal they just received was cancelled, but the one giving the point already increased the counter. So what he wants is two seperate buttons, so all he needs to do just to click a decrease button, so the counter decreases by two. And next to that button he has another button, which increases the counter by two again. An idiotproof setup.

Hope it helped rather than get you more confused :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back