Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unused floating auxiliary coil left in transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
We did a 70W PFC’d Flyback for driving LEDs. Transformer was 26:16:5 (Pri:sec:aux)
The sec is sandwiched by the pri…and then the Aux winding is on top (outer).
The thing is , we changed our mind, and never used the auxiliary winding in the end…..but just left it in the transformer anyway…just left it floating in there.
Would this cause any deleterious effects to EMC or whatever?

The product passed all its testing, including rad and Cond EMC, and thermal testing etc.

Thanks, just wondered if it may have made EMC worse even though it passed?.....i mean, should we really have connected one of the ends of the aux coil to primary ground?...so it acted like a shield?.....i mean, its a bit of a moot point now i agree....but...
I mean , surely with it floating, it is acting like a loop antenna?

i suggest that you tie one end to common, or ground, or some known voltage so
the aux winding isn't floating. you might also put a resistor across it, even though it
is a waste of energy

Status
Not open for further replies.