Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

unit for modulation index in FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

brahma

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i started angle modulation in COMMUNICATION SYSTEM by SIMON HAYKIN in that modulation index β=Δf/fm, where fm=freq of a modulating signal.
Δf is in hertz and fm is in hertz how β got a unit of radians????

It is assigned the units of radians. Radians are not derived from the ratio of the two frequencies.

β= Δf/fm.
β occurs as the part of phase of the carrier.Since it is a ratio ,it can be given the unit radians.radian does not have any dimensions whatsoever.
Take for example ω=dΘ/dt (angular frequency) its unit is radian ie angle per second
Even if you take the arc of length l of a circle of radius r,then the angle subtended by this lenght at the centre of the circle is Θ=l/r which is in radians even when l/r is a ratio.

Brahma,

Neils_Arm_Strong is correct. The radian (or degree) is what I like to refer to as a "label of convenience", rather than a unit. It is awkward to say " an angle equivalent to n radiith of the the way around a circle, so we attach the label "radian". The same thing applies to degrees. It's awkward to say an angle equivalent to 7/360th of the way around the circumference of a circle, so we attach the label "degree" and say 7 degrees".
Regards,
Kral

i don't remember that β unit was radians.

madulation index is a dimensionless quantity. it has no units

correct, it has no unit, do n ot confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back