Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unidirectional Analog Switch/Buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoaibali

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unidirectional buffer

Hi
I am using an external Crystal to supply clock to PIC microcontroller and am using XTAL out(12MHz) of microcontroller as an input clock of an other microcontroller and everything works fine.
Problem starts when the second microcontroller is plugged in/out (of the Zif socket) while the 1st microntroller is operational, causing disturbance in Xtal circuit and so the first microcntroller resets/hangs.
I want to find a way so that I can use the same Clkout of 1st microcontroller as input clk for 2nd one but instead of connecting directly I am thinking of putting a Analog mux/switch/buffer so that the input of that Analog swithc/mux/buffer is not disturbed by its output (which will be connected to Clk in of 2nd microcontroller). So, far I am unable to find a unidirectional analog buffer/switch/mux.

Any ideas/suggesion well appreciated
Regards

analog buffer

Hi,

Would think a 7414 or similar chip would act as a buffer for the osc signal - its a digital signal so no need for an analog switch.

Don't know if that would cure your problem though - removing a pic while 'hot' is likely to cause lots of problems, the voltage rails for starters, and then any other connctions in common with the two chips; Mclre for instance.

Without knowing what you are doing it a bit difficult to suggest anything else - seems a bit stange to want to remove and replace a second pic chip in a live circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.