Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Voltage Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephi0544

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wwwwwww.PNG

Can someone explain me how this circuit operates, for me to get the proper aspect ratio for each MOS devices. THANKS :D

Hi,

I think if you search for bandgap reference material online, CMOS, there is a lot out there that should answer some of the aspect ratios.

It is not a bandgap reference, there aren't diodes or BJTs. It is more like a constant-Gm reference, but I don't know. Anyway, I think the OPAmp's iputs are swapped.
At start-up the M1 pulls down the inverting input of the OPAmp. To switch on the top PMOS devices the OPAmp should pull down the gates, and for this the non-inverting input should be at a lower voltage than the drain voltage of M1, which is 0V from default. But the drain of M2 is a floating node, and can't be lower than 0V. If you swap the inputs probably it can work as ... something.

I'm not sure I'd call it a reference. That would depend
on outcomes. To me, the MOSFET-as-resistor ruins any
chance of tight process or temperature tolerances.
Other than that it seems to be a pretty normal delta-VT
(quasi-bandgap, but with FETs) current "reference" core
with an attempt to obtain a voltage at the back.

I'd much prefer to use the substrate PNP in any application
where I had more than 2V of supply.

Not sure whether this schematic is (or is expected to be)
self-starting. This is often a problem when somebody hands
you a "simplified schematic" of a voltage reference - the
small matter of it not working reliably due to "special case"
bits being left off.

I think MR acts as a variable resistor to obtain PTAT current reference and this MOS is fed-backed from Vref.
M1-M6 should have the same size -except M3- due to same current.

M2 have to be wider than M1, because of the degeneration, M6 has got an N multiplier by the figure, so it should be bigger too than M3-M4.
I found this thread, quite similar: https://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1213674664
It says it is a constant-Gm, the OPAmp's pins are swapped there too, and the stability analysis gave back that the feedback is positive, so I think the pins are swapped.
There are much simplier and understandable reference circuits, I wouldn't recommend to design or build this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back