Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Nominal and Operating Supply voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldJJames

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've bought a marine navigation device (a Raymarine C90W display) that would normally be operated in a boat and connected to the 12V DC boats supply. The device has a "play at home" mode to learn its features. So I'm looking for a means of powering the device at home. I don't want to spend a lot of money, since I'll only need the power supply during the upcoming winter season.

The device has a "Nominal Supply voltage of 12/24V DV" and an "Operating Voltage Range of 10.7 to 32 V DC".

I don't really understand these terms, but it occurs to me that the AC adapter that's running the laptop I'm using right now is 20V, 90 W. The wattage is more that I need. So can I connect this adapter to the display?

Any other suggestions for a cheap power source would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Ron James

does it has a voltage selector switch 12v/24v ??
if it has no selector switch then its an Auto supply u can run it via ur 20V laptop supply even if the watts of the supply is more,

Operating voltage of 10.7V to 32V sounds like it's designed to be universal for boats that are either 12V or 24V (hence the nominal rating) without having to have a voltage selector. I'm sure it will be fine powered from your 20V supply.

3phase

Hi ppls,
Remember: polarity of pwr connector pls?
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.