rakeshk.r

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,
I have 2 questions:
1. Lets say a design can be implemented either involving 1 dual port memory or using 2 single port memories. To which choice should a designer opt for and why ?
2. When comparing a single port and a dual port memory (BRAM). Apart from extra logic needed in addressing the data, are there any other distinguishing features for a designer to consider, when choosing between these two memories for an efficient design ?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Apart from trivial cases, a dual-port memory can be hardly replaced by two single-port memories, because data written to one port is expected to be readable at both ports. Think a bit.

In dual port memory, for read and write separate ports are there, so we can use different/same clocks for read and write.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Lets say a design can be implemented either involving a dual port memory or using two single port memories. To which choice should a designer opt for and why ?
how can you replace a dual port with two single port memory, because if we are using two memories let us say memA and memB, so if you are writting data into memA, then you shoud read it from memA, same for memB. So I think you cant replace dual port mem with two single port mem.
The replacement of dual port with single port is possible by using a clock freq in single port mem which is more than or equal to double the dual port mem clock freq.

Please correct if I am wrong!!!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…