Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] UART communication without level translator(max232) IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

freemanantony

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai Everyone,
I am trying to make C8051f340 UART communicate directly to the
UART of PIC16F1516 without any level translator but when i tried it that way i am getting overflow error and framing error, is it because i am trying to make them communicate directly without level translators. Can anyone help me on this?
With thanks
freemanantony

hi,
Have you seen this link, may be a stating point.

**broken link removed**

Hai Everyone,
I am trying to make C8051f340 UART communicate directly to the
UART of PIC16F1516 without any level translator but when i tried it that way i am getting overflow error and framing error, is it because i am trying to make them communicate directly without level translators. Can anyone help me on this?
With thanks
freemanantony

Are C8051f340 and PIC16F1516 on single board or different board ?

1. if these two are separate board then make sure you are using common ground ..
2. if you are using pre-defined set buad rate at both the side then disable flow control (Suggest to set baudrate to 9600 at both side)
3. Are you able to read the few chars properly ?

hello

Are you using a protocol to manage exchange between the 2 MCU ?
like XON XOFF
or ACk Nack
or by hardware RTS,CTS lines

hello everybody,
thankyou for your time.C8051f340 and pic16f1516 are on different boards, the baudrate set is 9600 only and unfortunately i cannot read the exact characters that are send at the receiver side.
yeah i am using uart to manage exchange between the 2 MCU

Using a logic level serial link is prone to pick up electrical noise but should basically work, at least most of the time. If it doesn't work at all, there's probably a problem in your hardware or software, not related to using logic level interface.

In other words, a problem that can't be read from your posts.

yeah i am using uart to manage exchange between the 2 MCU

UART is the hardware side ..the lowest level layer of a RS232 link protocole
but it not define the protocole (software layer) used to establish the dialogue ...

**broken link removed**

hello every one,
Actually i connected directly to the the controller uart pin from the output of the level translator my bad, when i connected it from uart pin to uart pin it is working fine.
with thanks,
freemanantony

Maybe, it is because your level translator reverse the logical level ! and direct UART does not.
Some PIC can use a reverse logic in UART config.

Status
Not open for further replies.