Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two power supplies configured +15V and -15V output (BOOOM) ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHeTTRoNiCS

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello...my machine got power supply faulty. This power supply have two output voltages. The +15V and the -15V with 18A current. I don't have spare for this type of power supply but I have two separate power supplies with +15V output 30A. Now to up my machine I had configured these two power supplies to get +15V and -15V power source. I connected the negative terminal of power supply "A" to the positive terminal of power supply "B". So I got 3 terminals on the output as below:

+15V = the positive terminal of the power supply "A"
Comm = the connection between neg of power supply "A" and pos of power supply "B".
-15V = the negative terminal of the power supply "B".

Now it looks fine when I power up manually...I could get the output +15V and -15V with common reference. The problem is when we installed it on the machine and power-up....multiple fuse blown from the PCB (not from power supplies). I don't exactly what went wrong...but I don't know...Any idea guys? thanks a lot.

hi,
Are the 15V at 30A power supplies, Earth free, ie: both the Positive and Negative outputs isolated from Ground/Chassis.??

E

hi,
Are the 15V at 30A power supplies, Earth free, ie: both the Positive and Negative outputs isolated from Ground/Chassis.??

E

Yes..both output terminals (pos and neg) from power supplies are isolated from Chassis gnd.

By the way the jumper between two supplies i connected to chassis ground...AC input is also isolated from chassis ground...So it Should be fine right? But why it blown the fuses and broke 3 pcbs....huh!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.