Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two crystals at one PCB !???

Status
Not open for further replies.

epp

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I am designing digital AC motor controller with dsPIC.
I have two crystals (2pin, HC49) in my pcb file: one for dsPIC (14.7x MHz), and other is for USB chip (6MHz). One is in horisontal and other is in vertical axis.
What is reccomended minimum distance between them?
Now, I have distance roughly about 18-20mm and I am afraid that they might have influence
at each other.
Please help.
Regards.

I don't think there is minimum recommended distance between two crystals ..
My gut feeling tells me that 20mm, or so, between them should be just fine ..

Regards,
IanP

epp said:
Hi!
I am designing digital AC motor controller with dsPIC.
I have two crystals (2pin, HC49) in my pcb file: one for dsPIC (14.7x MHz), and other is for USB chip (6MHz). One is in horisontal and other is in vertical axis.
What is reccomended minimum distance between them?
Now, I have distance roughly about 18-20mm and I am afraid that they might have influence
at each other.
Please help.
Regards.

Crytals is very very, stable in frequency depend of very high internal Q-value.
If right driven (not overdriven) you have no problem with influeces even if crystal places side by side. But, make holes and/or solder area in solder mask for possibly to grounding crystal case to ground plane with soldering of wire sling or directly between metallic crystal case and ground plane. You not want free floating crystal case working as antenna and make trouble in EMI/EMC-testing, plus any mark of interferences between crystal supresses further if crystal case is grounded...

most crystals using in RF-equipment have crystal case soldered to ground.

epp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes, I agree with xxargs, there should be no problem. You just need to plase them a couple of mm apart to reduce capacitive coupling.
To reduce the phase noise, if your circuit is sensitive to it, you should groung your oscillators properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back