Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TSUNAMI & EARTHQUAKE WARNING Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
US is going to get the deal to set up a Tsunami warning system for my country.

In Indonesia, we have a very long coastal lines and many small islands. Most of the people who lives in the coastal area are poor people.

That´s the point. For goverments and most companies, if they can´t get an economic profit
in such project, they will discard it. Unfortunately, nobody will install such system to take care of
poor people, instead if there were a military base, a petroleum plant or another installation they
want to protect, I´m sure they will install the whole system for "free".

Sorry for being so pessimist (or realistic?) :smoke:

Humber555

hi everybody.

well looking at the heading i thought maybe we all were going to talk about actual implementation of such a system.
some ideas, some technical specs, some details of already existing systems .....basically facts to deal and read .. !!!!
unfortunately all that i got to read was political & humanitarian debate (please spare that in this scientific forum) and some literal suggestions (like in corporate boardroom meetings) ...but alas! no real suggestions ...not even an idea.

please guys ... leave the pessimism and politics to the respective idiots.
if money is an impediment in the implementation of such a system, then our aim should be to build a system which would be really cheap and modular and expandable.... the properties which allow the system to become scalable. as all good electronic systems should be.
this way it could be utilized in even poor countries living under the dread of an imminent tsunami.
basically what all such warning systems require is some sort of signal processing system to monitor and analyse the shock waves, oceanic changes and other related dynamics of atmosphere. and then send the warning signals if some threshold value is exceeded.
and given the ubiquity of DSP systems in todays world and availability of cheap high end electronic components i think one can efficiently build a good warning system.
some might say that VLSI is available to implement such systems in small size... but i would like to go against it ...because it really would not matter if we use discrete components and sacrifice size (therefor containing the price of the system) ...because in the ocean it would rather be convenient to have a platform floating of around a 5x5 foot size. this way microwave devices could also be installed to facilitate satellite and other remote signal processing communication systems.

guys ..i am no wiz at these things ...just an average electronics professional.
but i can sure make out what is required and what is not.
please guys ..... i have seen some brilliant suggestions on this forum from elektroda days to edaboard.com days ...please give out technical facts and ideas.
other social debates could be easily kept for stupid politicians.

i hope i am not offending anybody ... i am just trying to convey what i felt right ...
especially now that this discussion is promoted so we should handle it more responsibly.

by the way one suggestion for infra waves (which was infered from the fact that animals indeed sensed the upcoming tsunami and fled the coast line to safer places) ... i think that was radical ..
please friend can you elaborate more on that idea?

one more starting point could be this page (thanx google) ...
http://www.drgeorgepc.com/TsunamiFAQ.html

well looking forward ...indeed,
with thanx and apologies,
hex_ray

hex_ray said:
one more starting point could be this page (thanx google) ...
h**p://www.drgeorgepc.com/TsunamiFAQ.html

Very informative link.
Apparently the detection systems are already well in place and are quite reliable, so the issue is to ensure that the warning reaches everybody in danger in time.
In most countries TV's or atleast radios are available. (Even if there is one TV or radio in an entire village it's enuf.) The problem is that that one TV or radio set may not be on or even if it is on there are so many channels and stations which one can choose from, so the warning message will have to be played on all channels. I don't really know how feasible that is espescially in the case of cable TV where the broadcasters may be sitting half way around the globe.
I guess the most effective solution would be to rely on the police stations. There will be atleast one police station for 2 or 3 villages (atleast in India) and the police atleast should have some sort of dedicated frequency for disasters which is permanently tuned into.
Thats about all I could come up with on short notice. Hope somebody else has some good ideas.

P.S. hex_ray very nice avatar by the way. :p

How about having animals in specific locations with sensors attached to them and study the changes in there brain activity.
Has any organisation done some scientific study on this subject? i only here from people that there was a change in animal behavior.

During the last tsunami disaster, the Simeuleu island in Aceh was hit also, destroying almost the entire town. But only 6 died. This town isn't as big as Banda Aceh (capitol of Aceh province), but it has a very good tradition. Everyone in that island knows, that whenever the sea level at the beach becomes very low, a tsunami, or a huge wave will soon come. So when they knew that the sea level at their beaches became very low, they immediately refuged to hills.

The last time this island got a tsunami was at 1907. Since then, childrens were taught the same thing, generation by generation, that a tsunami will surely come whenever the sea level becomes low.

This simple fact is not a commonly known among other people in Aceh.

Based on this fact, that 10 minutes could make a difference, i suggest that a simple device capable of detecting non-existance of sea water at the base of the sea (at a reasonable depth) whould be installed. I think that this can be placed not too far from the beach, so if we have no high-tech equipments like solar panels or enhanced radio/satellite communication transceiver, we could simply use cables :)

The sensor should then be directly connected to the local police station so that they can evacuate people promptly as necessary.

Since i am working in a company which is running in the sms content service business, we could also perhaps broadcast the warning via SMS ;)

last time in the new i heard india is going to use elephants as an early warning system. dunno how well this system is going to succeed.

beaming a dedicated radio frequency for warnings is the most sensible solution

Why?
To have a dedicated frequency, you would need a receiver installed in every house as has been suggested.
This would be very costly & the poor would not be able to afford it, it would get ignored & not maintained & perhaps even damaged & no-one would do anything about it, because it never does anything.

Someone sat on the beach, might also go "oooh - look at the pretty coloured smoke from that plane".

What is wrong with the tried & tested methods of large sirens, like we in the Uk had during the ww2 raids? perhaps they too are no use.

Either way, as had been said, it is the govermnents of all these countries that need to implement whatever system they finally decide upon & it's going to cost a great deal of money.
Money that they would most likely rather put into feeding the people, rebuilding the infrastructure or in some cases, lining thier own pockets.

Given that many areas are completely flattened & they have to start again, are they going to rebuild in an organised way with defences etc? I doubt it, the poor will build ramshackle houses again so that they can have whats left of thier lives back.
It is a sorry state but most likely what will really happen.

Governments may have conferences on it but nothing "real" will be done unless other countries aid them in doing it.

the latest update regarding this issue is 'India,Canada,SriLaka,etc.' are going to deploy tsunami warning system using 'Underwater Diffrential Pressure Sensing Technology' which is already in use at similar system in pacific rim.

But all this is happenning at the cost of more than $100 million.

Isn't it possible to take down the cost?

Extremely Expensive and No Guarantee
I hope there is a better solution.

Now, concentrate on the warning method. SMS, Beach announcment, RADIO AM/FM etc.?

SMS etc can only warn if it is Daytime. What happens if the Tsunami is going to strike
in the night? the problem is the wave travels around Two kilometers inside from the coast, and people have to be evacuated to safer places.

Cell phones are not very reliable when it comes about high loads in very short times, and especially in narrow areas. Remember what is happening every new year, when you are trying to call your frients at midnight.

/pisoiu

Status
Not open for further replies.