Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to work with LMH6628 op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

itayd100

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have the LMH6628 op-amp and I'm trying to get it going.

I have a 10MHz sine wave from signal generator and I want to amplify that (start with that and move to crystal output).
I connect the op-amp to 5+ and GND and make the circuit like the picture.

I can't make it work.
Any idea?

Itay

The appended circuit is useless for LMH6628 or similar 100 MHz class OPs in nearly any regard. Consider a feedback network with kOhm or less resistance level, also bias the non-inverting input to mid-supply.

As far as I see, this part requires symetrical power suply voltages, not ground referenced as you did.

Hey,
I can't understand.
What could be a circuit to work with this op-amp with a reasonable gain?

- - - Updated - - -

I saw in the specs: "Wide Supply Voltage Range: ±2.5V to ±6V" --> 0 to 5V should be ok, not?

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmh6628.pdf

The preceding '±' symbol denotes a symmetrical value varying from 2.5 to 6.0 volts. Moreover, the pinout designators +Vcc/-Vcc reinforces this chance.

Hey @andre,

I tried the attached circuit, but nothing happened - the signal from the op-amp is 0V.

for 2Vpp is 0V.
for 3Vpp is jumping.

Resistor values are still too large for this OP (should try 100 ohm/ 1kohm), but not the reason why you get no output.
Why don't you show a complete schematic, including source connection and pin numbers?

It's basically possible to supply the OP with +5V only, but the circuit must be modified respectively.

- - - Updated - - -

for 2Vpp is 0V.
for 3Vpp is jumping.
Input AC coupled without bias resistor?

The datasheet isn't too clear regarding to maximum allowed input voltages, but I wouldn't recommend apply 2Vpp when the Vcc is just ±2.5v.

The big clue is just above all the graphs in the data sheet. Note the values for the load and feedback resistors.

If you are using a split supply, the input pin should be ground referenced, try capacitve coupling with a resistor from the input pin to ground. If you are using a single supply, bias the non-inverting input at half supply voltage and break the DC link to ground in the feedback resistors by adding a capacitor in series with the ground side of the shunt resistor. At 10MHz you absolutely must add decoupling acoss the supply pins too.

Brian.

Hey FvM,

I connected 150ohm and 1.5Kohm.
I attached the schematic and the picture from the oscilloscope.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the answer.
I was lost in the middle.... Could you help me with schematic and values?

thanks...

Hi,

did´nt you say you use +/-2.5V. Now I see 0V, 5V. Feedback is 0V referenced.
--> as been said earlier: This won´t work.

Please try as explained in the posts.

Klaus

Hey Klaus,

I changed it to +/-2.5V.
And added capacitor of 1nF between the input and pin 3(+ of the op-amp).

And again, I just want any setup that will make it work. If I'm doing something wrong, just tell me. Still new in analog circuits.

- - - Updated - - -

Dual versus single supply configurations

Dual.png Single.png

Hey FvM,

Thanks for your schematics.
I tried the one with the single power supply and that's what I get:

Some explanation would be fine.

If yellow trace is input and light blue output voltage and both have same scaling factor, we would expect different waveforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.