Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trimmer to control motor speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac84

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
May I ask can a trimmer control a 6V motor speed?
By increase or decrease the resistance of the trimmer, I can increase or decrease the voltage to the motor right? Can this be done to increase or decrease the motor speed?

Depends on the trimmer and the motor, but in most cases, those trimmers that are used to preset conditions on a circuit board are too low-powered to control a motor directly.

Depends on the trimmer and the motor, but in most cases, those trimmers that are used to preset conditions on a circuit board are too low-powered to control a motor directly.

Yup, I've tried it. I turn the trimmer to 0 ohm only can turn on the motor. Is it because through the trimmer, the current are limited? Is there a way to amplify the current?
Then, what is the best way to adjust the speed of the motor? Is it by using a motor driver ic?

Last edited:

There are many different ways to control the speed of a motor, ranging from the very simple to the very complex and it's impracticable to try to describe them all here. Tell us more about what you want to do and try to include all details. Then we can start trying to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.