Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triac Control Module easily controllable from MCU?

asrock70

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
At the beginning, I will describe what I am talking about.
I need, among other things, to control the performance of two 230V heaters (700W each).
Power control in the range of 0-100 percent.
Power control from MCU (somewhat STM32).
It is not a serial production (approx. 3 pieces), requirements, cheap, simple, galvanically separated.

The first thing that came to mind is to use SSVR any as this.
Unfortunately, I don't have 10V or even a reliable 5V available. Making a current loop at 4.5V probably won't be easy either,
Plus the prices, even from China, are not what they used to be :confused:

Design your own control board.
What comes to my mind
ZCD any as this
Triac any as BTA16, optotriac any as MOC305x
Any smal MCU with 2 PWM input for transmitting information about the required performance.
The MCU then flashes the LED in the optotriac according to the information from the ZCD.

I don't know, maybe someone is offering it on ALi or Ebay, maybe I'm making something up.
Do you handle it?

Thanks

Hi,

so what exactly is your question?

Btw: the first link does not work for me.
Also it seems to link t a commercial site. These useally are not as relaible as the very manufacturer datasheets. Thus I always recomend to use most relable and most up to date informations provided by the original manufacturers.

Don´t rely on random internet informations ... often from hobbyists, not more experienced than yourself.

There are plenty of reliable and rather detailed application notes and design notes available for free.
From semiconductor manufacturers, from universities and reputable senior designers.

Althogh not mentioned, it seems you want to do phase angle control. But usually heat ing systems are happy with full wave control. But we don´t know anything about your application aand requirements.
You mainly show solutions ... but in a good design flow:
* you first decide the requirements. I miss it completely.

Klaus

The aliexpress website, I use often, some parts come thru as quality, some do not.
There are threads on web about Chineese SSR knock off qwuaklity issues, and its
getting harder to know who root mnanufactuer is, eg. US Chineese fabs dumping
due to slow buiz cycle.

The aliexpress website, I use often, some parts come thru as quality, some do not.

There are threads on web about Chinese SSR knock off quality issues, and its
getting harder to know who root manufacturer is, eg. US-Chinese fabs dumping
due to slow biz cycle, or just a low quality operation.

In-so-far as no 5V or 10V supply, consider a simple low cost charge pump, fior the low
current part of design.

https://www.ti.com/power-management...lators/charge-pump-inductorless/overview.html

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
OK I thought about the problem a bit.
I have an MCU, it only has a PWM output. From a hw point of view, I will add a Triac and an optotriac with an integrated ZCD and for control use Zerocrossover control.

I will use 1 second as the base time frame.
There are 100 half-periods in one second.
For zero power, all hundred are OFF, for full power all hundred ON.
The MCU generates PWM with a frequency of 1Hz, for 1% power the signal is 10+1ms 1 and 989 0, for 50% 500+1ms 1 and 499 0 etc.

Yes, I don't know if the ZCD circuit in some optotriac can detect a half wave, if not, a time frame of 2s and one hundred full waves is used.

What's wrong with that idea and why won't it work?

sounds Ok as long as you have a PID compensation to overcome latency and have minimal overshoot and the heaters have forced air to minimize gradients to meet any requirements for temperature error.

Some voltage sensitive lights may dim a few % at a 0.5 Hz rate which is noticeable.

Hi,

I recommend full waves.

Also no ZCD needed. For sure you can use it, but it's not necessary.
You could do hardware PWM, but for 10ms/20ms simple interrupt also is a valid solution.

I guess 5s or even 10s should be no problem .... but still we don't know the technical requirements.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: