Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transmating data through 220V home power lines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sending information through power lines

hi all ;

is it possible to transmit data through 220V home line , for example i connect an MCU to one home ( with the special circuit ) and some in others homes , then i send data to them through 220v home power lines ?

send data over power circuit

Hi,

it is possible to send data over the power lines. Microchip has a good application note on a X-10 system, it can be used as a start. There are some specialized ICs available to do the job, called "home automation modems", ST has a few of them.

Regards

send data via power lines

You may have problems going between different buildings. You may have to use such a low data rate that using a semaphore light would be faster (joke).

You can always use 802.11 type systems with 24 dB gain directional antennas on each end. For security reasons I suggest that you use units that can act as a bridge and programmed to work with only each other's MAC number plus use the 128 bit encryption mode. Go from each unit to a 10baseT type cabled network at each end. I set up a system similar to this in a building where the printers, some computers, and the internet connection were in one room and the remaining computers were in another room.

sending network data through power line

but it is not to control MCU s in city !!!

i want to control some far distance MCUs , for example in a city !

sending data through power line

Both ends must participate straight from the same phase. You should expect lot of noise and your circuitry should account for that. Some good protocol to check and correct errors due to it, is probably in order.

Probably, the most important, for good performance is the hardware used to connect you to mains at both ends. Quite specific, expensive, hard to find unless you buy some ready made modules. Transormers are a special item here.

In certain conditions you could be confined to slow speed. Cross fingers.

National maintained in their list the LM1893 (I hope I recall this properly), for long time.

Google and you will find lot of info.

If you have no hands on experience, please be aware that dealing with mains is a dangerous thing.

Buena suerte.

how information is sent across a power line

I had a design using this technique .. in paper it should work ,, But it doesn't I used the best chips out there like intellon that try to find the best frequency to transmit and even with that i was not even able to send data to my next door neighbour so i went wireless . my idea was to connect hospital equipment to be monitored through a power modem ..FORGET ABOUT ..too risky .. not reliable enough .. in a building !

transfer files through electrical line

hm,

I never did anything like this personally but followed closely a professional work from a friend of mine who installed, some 12 years ago a network to xmit music inside a major ***** local hotel, (>150 rooms & 10 floors).

It worked. The xformers were the problem that, once solved, just required some once-for-all tuning.

Google and look for something ready made. Perhaps cost is low.

Buena suerte.

sending data through power lines

hm_fa_da said:
is it possible to transmit data through 220V home line

Search internet for "power line modem". Apart from old X-10, there are special PLM chipsets manufactured by Philips, ST, Echelon, etc. Here is a pre-built PLM module: https://www.hth.com/plm-24/default.htm

hm_fa_da said:
for example i connect an MCU to one home ( with the special circuit ) and some in others homes , then i send data to them through 220v home power lines ?

Power meters and transformers work as filters attenuating PLM signals. You'll be able to communicate via power line within one house, but communication with PLM connected to mains at another house will not be reliable.

list of data 0-12 transformer

Give a look here:
**broken link removed**

Consider that you can do the connections only on the same elctric installation: the signal cannot cross the meters.

Nox

data over 220

There is another solution from intellon. Try to refer www.intellon.com. This chip is quite good for power line networking implementation.

transfer data through a electric line

hm_fa_da,

These guys above maybe are electronics gurus but they seem to know much about electric networks that supply energy.
My advice is: forget about it. It will not work at all !!!
Within one building it might fine, maybe buildig next to you...
As soon as you rich first transformer station that will be it !!!

ethernet through 220v

Thanks Ianp .. is funny but a lot o people just drop their "opinion" they never dealt with the problem I SPENT DAYS fighting and i used the best chip which is the one by intellion " If you read their specs all make sense its sounds high tech is high tech but no reliable tech .. Well because is not meant to deal with the intricacy of electric wiring in a building ..
If is just for your home from one room to the next go for IT .
If is to use on a hospital at ethernet speeds FORGET IT .. we are now two to tell you OR you will get sued by your costumer

networking over 220v power lines

Hi,

If you are serious about this project, I think the best way to trasmit data to other house or villages with power transformers in-between is to put a coupling capacitors or high pass filters in betwwen the transformer isolated lines. In this manner the high high voltage side with lower frequencies compared to your data burst will be attenauated.

lm1893 device available in the philippines

glenjoy,

this is creazy idea both technically and legally !!!
We are talking here about public/private networks and spectrum legal problems.

adp to send data over mains power

We use a Zelwegger system to sent a 1050hz signal through the 11000volt network,that is reduced in each suburb via a 11000v/380v transformer.The peak voltage on the 380v supply is 5v. On a 220v network your losses will be to high and your signal will fade quikly as it will be absorbed by house hold appliancias. Get hold of epe mag June-September 1990 for M.A.R.C project.

diy send data through power line

hi
i am presently doing work on data over power lines,
YES it is possible, and there are special IC's designed for this purpose, i don't think
LM1893 would be a good choice, it seems to stop working for no special reason.
try ST7537 or ST7536. both are available from ST.COM or digikey.com.
i am presently trying to implement this in another way using XR2206 and XR2211.
there r also differnt protocols for transmitting data over power lines , X10, CeBUS
LONWORKS etc , i tries X10, it is good for shutting and opening appliances but slow for moving files.

how to send data via plc modem

i just came across a device , it sends data upto 300m over power lines.Well thats what it says.
As far as longer range is concerned , nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
There are some industrial uses of the technology. From my experience anything that sends fairly simple commands has a chance of working. There are examples of home systems that use power wiring as speaker wiring, telephone transmission system, etc. In general they are crappy, in that the information conveyed is degraded.
https://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/02/25121/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.