Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Translator and cmos driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Mark81_

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[SOLVED]: Translator and cmos driver

Hi,
I need to translate a 3.3V clock signal to 5V in order to feed 100 cmos logic gates.
The clock frequency is very low, but I do need very sharp edges, say a rise/fall time below 50 ns.

What do you recommend?

I think any open-drain configuration is not suitable due to the pull-up resistor. I'm going to use a standard level-translator and a push-push mosfet driver.

Anyway I'm looking for a solution with very few parts.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Thanks for the link. I see the Vih is below 3V so I don't need a translator, indeed. Now I know exactly what I have to looking for.

You might consider a simple 74HCT or 74ACT series Schmitt
trigger (e.g. 74ACT14) and a high drive octal buffer (or just
use the remaining 5 Schmitt inverters of the hex). The input
of the T (TTL compatible) input ought to be tolerant of not
being driven to rail.

Let's see... cost might be a little lower, but the parts count is doubled, board space is quadrupled (one 8-pin and Vcc capacitor versus one 14-pin plus one 20-pin plus 2 Vcc capacitors) and output current is halved (1+A versus 8*48mA = 0.4A).

I'll give it a try with this IC:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc27323.pdf

it costs about 1 euro for 100+ pieces, it has a huge current output (no need so much current, though) and it doesn't require any voltage translator at input. Furthermore it's a double driver - my board has 2 clock signals to handle :lol:

Good choice. You may actually NEED the drive current because your cmos inputs are highly capacitive and the driver chip will give you good clean transitions without clock skew.

Status
Not open for further replies.