Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer amplifier or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhargavmpk

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is transformer an Amplifier?
If not why?

no. transformer does not do amplification. its principle of induction follows
V1*I1=V2*I2
V1,I1-------primary
V2,I2-------secondary
input and output power are the same

Transformer is a power converter, not an amplifier ..

If voltage is doubled in the secondary, current is halved in the secondary. Conversely, if voltage is halved in the secondary, current is doubled in the secondary. In this manner, all the power delivered to the primary by the source is also delivered to the load by the secondary minus whatever power is consumed by the transformer in the form of losses ..

Regards,
IanP

As said above transformer is not an amplifier. But the propertie of voltage transformation can be used as step-up booster where secondary voltage is higher than primary voltage. Secondary load impedance must be higher than prinary one or it should be highohmic.

as name indicated it is an voltage or current transformer..provided no change in its output power ..it will same as that of input power

its not an amplifier, because the output and input powers are same.. and there is not another source other than the signal (e.g incomming ac voltage), which can upconvert the signal voltage without reducing the output current...

Regards

transformer is just changing voltage and current at output maintaining the product VI constant.Thus it is not an amplifier.

no,it is not amplifer.for larger values it acts short

Status
Not open for further replies.