Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tracking generator vs sweep generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinroyd

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
will a tracking generator produce the same signal shape on the spectrum analyser that a sweep generator produces on a scope? I thought a tracking generator could completely replace a sweep generator in testing a band pass filters and If's. I see the sweep generator uses a detector where a tracking generator doesn't. Can i use a tracking generator with my spec an instead of a sweep generator and scope or are they completely diferent beasts. I can't find any data on the uses or interchangeability.

A tracking generator on a spec analyser is in step with the sweep on the spec. analysers display. So if you have a change of frequency in the device you are testing you won' t see any output. i.e. AM receiver under test, Fin = 1MHZ +- 100 KHZ to check the IF tuning. If you hook the spec. analysers up to the final IF transformer, this is tuned to 465 KHZ, so no output!
If you replaced the spec analyser with a CRO, you would get a display of an RF envelope whose shape was of the IF pass band, or if you used a detector you would get the conventional pass band shape. So it would work , the problem is that there will be no frequency markers so you can't calibrate your display.
If you now use a sweeper with a scope, then you can normally switch in marker pips to calibrate your frequency display.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back