Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Toshiba Satellite A305-S6853 malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhov

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Could anyone give an advise about this laptop? (model# PSAG0U-02900L)
Recently it repeatedly switches off, as if electricity "disappears". And sometimes its display looks like in the photo I've attached. Strange, but in "safe mode" it seems doesn't switch off. In Febuary this year its broken screen was replaced, and it worked well till now.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

1. Is computer shutting off or just screen going black? I had issues with my toshiba, turned out to be wires connecting screen were coming loose.
2. Check Battery:
A. Clean contacts?
B. set battery on flat surface, if it rocks back and forth (caused by bulge) then battery needs to be replaced. Oxidation inside battery causes swelling.
C. Try with plugged in power chord with battery removed.

I don't know this model, must find the manual. My assumption is based on the fact that in safe mode, the resolution is smaller and not all of the memory is used

There is no video memory usually is used standard RAM in laptops/notebooks. Its very rare to find models with separate video memory chips, some gaming laptops have video memory chips to achieve top performance for video gamming.

This 15" notebook uses Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128 MB-358 MB Dynamically Allocated Shared Graphics Memory.

Still uses a dedicated memory block. Poor contact is the easiest from what can be.

Is there separate video memory in PSAG0U-02900L or he use standard RAM for video ? :smile:

This 15" notebook uses Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128 MB-358 MB Dynamically Allocated Shared Graphics Memory.
In Intel® G31/P31 Express Chipset graphic controller and memory controller are combined in one chip - The Intel® 82G31 GMCH, that is logical.
The role of a (G)MCH in a system is to manage the flow of information between its four interfaces: the processor interface, the system memory interface, the external graphics interface, and the I/O controller through DMI interface. (C) Intel®
Memory marked #2 is used In normal mode. Memory marked #1 is used In safe mode.
7653386500_1369306555.png

3475772300_1369306631.png

3.1.2 Legacy Video Area (A_0000h-B_FFFFh)
The legacy 128KB VGA memory range, frame buffer, (000A_0000h – 000B_FFFFh) can
be mapped to IGD (Device 2), to PCI Express (Device 1), and/or to the DMI Interface.
The appropriate mapping depends on which devices are enabled and the programming
of the VGA steering bits. Based on the VGA steering bits, priority for VGA mapping is
constant. The (G)MCH always decodes internally mapped devices first. Internal to the
(G)MCH, decode precedence is always given to IGD. The (G)MCH always positively
decodes internally mapped devices, namely the IGD (82G31 GMCH only) and PCIExpress.
Subsequent decoding of regions mapped to PCI Express or the DMI Interface
depends on the Legacy VGA configuration bits (VGA Enable & MDAP). This region is
also the default for SMM space. (C) Intel®

P.S. I suggest to check memory by memtest86 or similar program.

P.S. I suggest to check memory by memtest86 or similar program.

Thank you all for reasonable suggestions. I used memtest86 to check the memory and the results are on the photo:

So if the screen's flat cable is demaged is it possible to have a norman operation in "safe mode" and in "normal mode" switch offs (like when a desktop computer is unplugged from mains) every 3-4 minutes? After a switch off the laptop reboots by itself.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

I see on screen "Pass 4%". Is this test fully completed?
Did you add any new software / drivers before the laptop started to reboots ?

I see on screen "Pass 4%". Is this test fully completed?
Did you add any new software / drivers before the laptop started to reboots ?

Actually it's the start of third pass. When the pass meter in the first pass reached 100%, the writing "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit" appeared in the center below, and the pass meter started counting from 0% again. On the start of third pass i switched of the laptop.
I don't remember any suspicious program/driver installation. I can mention that the malfunction appeared 2 monthes after the replacement of the cracked screen, and the substitute screen wan't brand new.

This problem dont have anything with memory but why not to test it. Try to use memory from other notebook, and check that, no need for software testing. If there is no other memory for testing ok to use software, but can be time wasting.. I saw this many times, check flat cables and flat cables connectors.

Of course I say check maybe is this.

So if the screen's flat cable is demaged is it possible to have a norman operation in "safe mode" and in "normal mode" switch offs (like when a desktop computer is unplugged from mains) every 3-4 minutes? After a switch off the laptop reboots by itself.
Any ideas?

Better open notebook and inspect mainboard.

Did you try to install new copy of Windows OS?

When you turn on your notebook, after some time of working you have : (notebook+heat inside+heated parts)
which is different from : (notebook without heat inside and around room temp parts).

Reactions: zhov

zhov

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I saw this many times, check flat cables and flat cables connectors.

I disassembled the laptop's screen to check it's flat cable and flat cable connector (part number: 6017B0147801), but saw no visible damage. So it has to be checked by replacement?
I tried to reinstall the Windows OS, but the laptop switched off after 2 miniutes, but it doesn't switch off in "safe mode"!
Thanks for advices!

With regret, I can say that your defect is very similar to the problem 82G31 GMCH. I'm not sure that the home you will be able to resolder BGP chip. Try to boot from sd / dvd / usb image of Ubuntu and save your data. Ubuntu less intensive uses the GPU and it may have succeeded.

Reactions: zhov

zhov

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
With regret, I can say that your defect is very similar to the problem 82G31 GMCH.

So, graphics and memory controller chip fault seems to be the most likely. I'll ask my friends to replace it.
Thanks for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back