Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toshiba RT-SF1 - Microphone Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to record some digital audio files from a PC to an audio-cassette. It seems the only casette recorder I can get hold of at the moment is a Thoshiba RT-SF1, which provides a microphone input using two 3.5 mm jack connectors, one for the Left & one for the Right channel, as can be seen below. The microphone input impedance is stated with 200 Ohm to 2 kOhm. I assume each input is using a mono jack, so I should be able to feed in the audio-signal provided by a PC by a stereo-jack to 2 x mono jack cable. Is this assumption correct?

Unfortunately I was not a able to find a service manual. It would be nice to have a look at the schematics, as I have to change some potentiometers in near future. So I would be happy if someone could share the service manual.

BR

IMG_20220405_000628.jpg

Thoshiba RT-SF1.png

Often the patch cable needs to be an attenuating type, when you send a signal to a mic input. The cassette unit expects a very soft (low amplitude), which it amplifies via automatic gain control. As a result your signal is liable to be clipped and distorted.

Of course there is a remote chance that your computer output can be reduced to a soft enough level, and the automatic gain circuitry responds with sufficient attenuation, to record your signal properly.

Even so, a cable tends to introduce mains hum, which becomes audible during soft passages in the music. Therefore you still might want to use a shielded potentiometer to attenuate what goes into the mic input.

stenzer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

thank you for the reply. I assume the attenuation can be achived by use series resistors in serises with the audio channel lines. Is there a typical resistor value used?

How does it looks like for the REC/PB connector? Does the record cable also requires an attenuated cable?

BR

The 5 pin DIN connector is the dedicated input for line level signals. Attenuation may be still required. Does the recorder provide manual record level control or ALC only?

stenzer

To my knowledge only ALC. As far as I can remember there are only the TONE, BALANCE and VOLUME (and TUNING) knob.

Hi,

my I ask why a casette player? Aren´t there more modern solutions. Smaller, low power, better quality, simpler, ..

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I'm sticked to the physical medium. It's a classic mix-tape, a birthday present for one who grew up in the 80s.

BR

Hi,

Ahh, I understand.
I´d go for the REC/PB input. I guess it´s higher ohmic than the MIC input (but maybe they just connected them in parallel)

I´d try a 10k (in your case maybe 1k to 10k) logartihmic pot.

Klaus

stenzer

I guess it´s higher ohmic than the MIC input (but maybe they just connected them in parallel)
Yes, I would like to have a look on the schematic. But I wasn't able to find a service manual.

I will order a DIN-5 to jack cable and try it with a low volume setting. If this doesn't work, I will have to use a stereo potentiometer, or two resistors.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back