Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools for JTAG programming (AVR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hqqh

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i want to program an ATmega128 via jtag. i have read that it is possible with avr studio and ice5 (in circuit emulator).
my question: which tools can program the controller with a simple jtag cable (i have a jtag cable from a xilinx development board)? or do i need the ice5 device?
thanks in advance.

greetings,
hqqh

Hi,

i searched in the net and found (**broken link removed**) a tool that is able to program the avr via jtag. it is command line based and consists of 3 executable. at first you have to translate the .hex file into a svf file. after this the svf have to translated into a .jam format and the you can download the file with a tool called jam.
is there no other tool that makes it a little bit easier? or is flash programming via jtag not a common way.

greetings,
hqqh

hqqh,

I don't think you have to convert from svf to jam (stapl). svf is the xilinx jtag programming format while jam (stapl) is the Altera version. I think the jam (stapl) format is also a JEDEC standard?

Check out the xilinx appnote titled "Xilinx In-System Programming Using an Embedded Microcontroller" located at:

**broken link removed**

If you list all of the app notes:

**broken link removed**

and then scroll down to app note 58 you can download the svf player binaries for Windows, Solaris, or HP Unix.

Status
Not open for further replies.