Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tips on how to implement video ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdhzero

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Here are the main and resumed questions:
- can SDR SDRAM run at any frequency?
- if I was supposed to assert a signal on clock N, but I assert on clock N+1, will the SDR SDRAM be damaged?

Any other suggestions on how to implement videoram are welcome! :D

Here is the full context:

I am trying to create a VGA controller + bitmapped memory. My problem is how to implement
bitmapped/video ram.

My FPGA can output a 12 bit pixel for VGA. Some math:
640x480x12 = 3686400 bits

This is a lot of bits for my FPGA's block ram, but I have a SDR SDRAM that I never used and I
am afraid to use it because:

1 - I have no idea what frequencies the SDR SDRAM can run: (100MHz? 133MHz? 10MHz? or whatever?)
Or: are there min and max frequency operation for sdram?

2 - I already have a SDR SDRAM controller, but as I never used it, I fear that a signal asserted on the wrong
time can damage my SDR SDRAM. When I implement a wrong FSM in VHLD, it just produces wrong results, but
it does not damage my FPGA. If my SDR SDRAM controller has a few bugs, could it damage the SDR SDRAM?

Example: the SDR SDRAM is refreshing and, because of a bug, the sdram controller tries to perform a write operation or
a read operation
Example2: I should assert a signal in clock N, but assert it in clock N+1.

3 - The sdram controller is working is simulations, but with a different memory model from the one used in my FPGA.
what are the chances of not working with my sdram?

Thanks to everyone who read this carefully

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back