Status
Not open for further replies.

dope40

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i am building a cdi but i cant find one of the parts . Its the btv58 thyristor ,, i've serched in all of the electronic stores in my city and i cant find it, so i decidet to look for its replacement but i couldn't find it either , so if someone can tell me with what i can replace the damn thyristor i will be very thankful.

BTV58 is a GTO, not a regular thyristor. It's an obsolete part, because GTOs have been superseeded in all power electronics applications by IGBTs except for high power circuits (e.g. in HV-DC transmission). It would be wise to refer to a recent CDI design that does without GTOs.

yes, but my cdi is almost ready, exept the thyristor so i need to find a replacement.

Are you sure that the CDI circuit relies on GTO (gate-turn-off) capability of the device?

well this is the cdi **broken link removed** but, i think it relies on GTO capability. or if can make some changes to the cdi to work without GTO.I'm not sure i just resenty started to work with electronics, because i mostly work with mechanics.

I don't see any GTO (gate-turn-off) operation in the circuit, and I don't think that it makes sense for a CDI at all. I would test with a standard 600V thyristor available at DIY shops.

Reactions: dope40

dope40

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.