Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] thyristor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dope40

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i am building a cdi but i cant find one of the parts . Its the btv58 thyristor ,, i've serched in all of the electronic stores in my city and i cant find it, so i decidet to look for its replacement but i couldn't find it either , so if someone can tell me with what i can replace the damn thyristor i will be very thankful.

BTV58 is a GTO, not a regular thyristor. It's an obsolete part, because GTOs have been superseeded in all power electronics applications by IGBTs except for high power circuits (e.g. in HV-DC transmission). It would be wise to refer to a recent CDI design that does without GTOs.

yes, but my cdi is almost ready, exept the thyristor so i need to find a replacement.

Are you sure that the CDI circuit relies on GTO (gate-turn-off) capability of the device?

well this is the cdi **broken link removed** but, i think it relies on GTO capability. or if can make some changes to the cdi to work without GTO.I'm not sure i just resenty started to work with electronics, because i mostly work with mechanics.

I don't see any GTO (gate-turn-off) operation in the circuit, and I don't think that it makes sense for a CDI at all. I would test with a standard 600V thyristor available at DIY shops.

Reactions: dope40

dope40

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.