Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The projector shielding. Could you make it clear for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan74

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I plan to make a system like that (the pictures at the bottom of the page there):

http://www.asilo.com/aztap1/

Because I have got an allergy on electro-magnetic radiation, in other words electro sensitivity. As you see the author of that project has put the projector in the metallic case. He is an engineer and has made all using the knowledge available now in that area for science. And because of this, as I remember he claims that he reached attenuation of 80 dB in that project. I understand electronics very little, but get something from this book:

Controlling Radiated Emissions by Design

Michel Mardiguian

**broken link removed**

I would like to make it that way (If I don’t understand right something in the technology of shielding or do not to take something into account, please tell me what exactly).

I will order welding of the box from 2 mm steel with dimensions 40x40x60 cm with welding of the seams the same way as for gas pipes. Is the size of the box right? I hope that the big volume of air inside of it will give enough possibility for cooling. The opening for the projector beam will be with a lengthened hole (a metal tube), which should be three times longer than the diameter of the opening. I am not sure that the projector which I buy will be able to get through this tube without loss. First probably I will need to experiment with a cardboard model, so that the projector beam can go through it fully and then order. What is better, a smaller in diameter opening, but the tube (waveguide) will be shorter too, or a bigger opening, but the tube will be longer, related to the diameter of the opening? As I remember when ratio is 1 / 3, the effectiveness of a round opening is 90 db. But its dimensions nevertheless I imagine have importance too, and the smaller the better, is that right?

Ventilation will be passive, I hope that this same opening will be enough for that, because I plan to buy a projector with little power, on LEDs (27 or 60 W). I don’t know here which to get, the one that has 300 Lm beam, but with less well focusing or another one that has 500-700 Lm which is more powerful, what is not desirable, but with better focusing, I need an advice here. On the top will be an opening for putting the projector inside (is there any importance on what it will lie there?) Again, It will be covered with steel, the gasket will be made from something like metal mesh going around perimeter (which of them exactly is here more suitable, can I take any mesh whatsoever (for example mesh for ordinary dishwashing?) In the place of the contact the surface will be rubbed down and cleaned to a metallic sheen (with abrasive paper for example); all this gets tightly squeezed up together on bolts, their rods can be welded to the case. Bolts are outside the perimeter of the gasket. Will this rods work like an antenna, in the book above, author tells that in the case of metalized plastic, long, protruding screws must be avoided because they can become radiating antennae (page 246),but what with that in my case, is that also true in the case I present here? There will be two apertures at the box bottom for the power and HDMI-cables. As I understood both cables should be putted in something like metal corrugated pipe, which should be tightly pressed down to the case with bolts on gasket the same way as the top cover. Is it also needed here to make a tube(waveguide)? Can the cables go together through the same duct and the same opening in the box, or they should be separated? (I have not understood it from the book, too difficult) The computer will be situated in another room. HDMI- cables will be 20 m long; is it needed to shield all of their length, or it is enough to shield only the part that will be in the main room. Leakages in another room will not be so important. The opposite end of cable shield should be grounded also as I understood.

As to material used, will the 2 mm steel be effective approximately the same way through all the spectrum of frequencies as other metals. I cannot understand that from graphs which even give self-contradicting impression, possibly because of misunderstanding. I read that it is better (or what?) when the metal sheet is multilayered, at least for example 1 mm steel and 0,025 mm copper? What a difference I actually get here for my project? I need preferably to shield through all the spectrum of frequencies, because I do not know exactly which of them are affecting me. And how it is practically… the steel box can be welded in my country (in my parts) by usual weldors (by the way, is the 2 mm too thick, the shielding properties depending on the thickness as well), but what to do with copper? May be wrap this box afterwards additionally with thick aluminum or copper foil, or maybe you know where to buy prefabricated sheets already prepared specially for this purpose? Would it be possible to cover this finished box somehow afterwards also with copper or it will be needed to start from the beginning? All this details I think have an importance, may be without addressing them shielding can become useless.

Reflected waves? they don’t evaporate by themselves and disappear as opposed to absorbed waves, so gradually the high frequencies (in the case of only steel present in the shield without copper) they will be rereflected all the time until they go out from the opening for the projector beam, is not that so? How then the shielding effectiveness by reflection actually works?

Because I have got an allergy on electro-magnetic radiation, in other words electro sensitivity. As you see the author of that project has put the projector in the metallic case.

I would like to make it that way

I will order welding of the box from 2 mm steel with dimensions .....

How then the shielding effectiveness by reflection actually works?

I am sorry you do not know too much about EM waves, but there is no scientific reason for the body to be extremely sensitive to radio waves, although I believe hour long cell phone calls with the antenna near your mastoid bone behind your ear should be avoided.

The consumer radiation level for computer products is quite safe. From my dozen or more times of testing in a Faraday Cage, the most often issue with excess levels above FCC Class B are actually the high speed data interface cables out of the box. The box itself if designed and certified is not a problem.

Furthermore, one does more harm enclosing heat in a sealed unit with passive cooling as without proper ventilation, components and units will fail faster.

In fact the best designed Faraday Cage, which I purchased in the 90's for ISM band 1GHz radio tests was made of two layers of copper "bugscreen" with a 1" gap in a steel frame cube 8'x8'x8'. This was once rated at -120dB but was used and performed around -100dB.

You don't need solid steel to reflect RF from passing thru, but when it stays inside, it will create higher electric fields from standing waves at resonance, but normally not a problem unless it is high power like a microwave oven.

I suggest you reconsider your plan and research your requirements, not try to copy what someone claims they did.

The AC electric field research in 80's was a scam with "doctored data" and the "researcher" on govt funding sent to jail.

I have known some to hear AM radio in their amalgam fillings and heard some claim they can be radio sensitive, but never known anyone prove it. If they were they would have to avoid all cities with cell phone towers, stay away from lightning storms. I can appreciate no one likes dry weather nylon carpets and neoprene shoes to get zapped.

The consumer radiation level for computer products is quite safe. The box itself if designed and certified is not a problem.

I suggest you reconsider your plan and research your requirements, not try to copy what someone claims they did.

I have known some to hear AM radio in their amalgam fillings and heard some claim they can be radio sensitive...

Unfortunately for me the box itself is quite a problem, I sensitive exactly to the electro-magnetic emissions of the computer, TV and like that, and not to the radio waves which are always around.
For me it is much easier to copy a plan, because I can’t actually construct another plan. Thank you for the reply.

I have never heard of allergy to EMI from FCC/CE compliant computers, but external cables can radiate and glass CRT's can generate electrostatic voltages.

Military once designed around this so that antenna out not reconstruct data signal from CRT. These were called Tempest EMI qualification levels. But this is not possible from 1m distance from modern PC box as it is designed to be a Faraday Cage.

Only cables can radiate above these levels, but thy are usually balanced , some like ethernet with ferrite core inside, so even that is not much.

Can you please define sensation or how you know there is EMI, so I can think of a suitable plan for a shield or improve on a Faraday Cage?

Can you please define sensation or how you know there is EMI, so I can think of a suitable plan for a shield or improve on a Faraday Cage?
My primary sensation when I stay around the computer or Tv or something like that for some time is the sensation as if I have been putted in a microwave oven of a sort, it feels like the inside part of me, innards (or the inside energy, may be it is possible to say so) is heated, and then with time it comes to boiling up. I can not say for the others with electro-sensitivity, it can be different from me in other cases. This is the way I know
beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is an active source of Emi near me.

THat doesn't give me an idea about how sensitive your threshold is in terms of distance , Electric or Magnetic Field strength or frequency.
This might tell me how much attenuation vs f you need.

Have you ever had a skilled person test you?

Have you ever had a skilled person test you?

No, unfortunately, I don’t know such a skilled person here whom I could contact seeking assistance in this testing. As I mentioned before I need preferably to shield through all the spectrum of frequencies fairly well, because I do not know exactly which of them (as well as their strength and threshold) are affecting me. Nevertheless I think that most probably it is the high and mid frequencies, rather than the low. Will this box (which I try to copy) be effective on the all spectrum of frequencies or not, and I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back