Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The procedure of the simulation of the Harmonic Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhl777

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All, thank you for reading this topic. I just design an OTA and I will conect it to a capacitor to build a lowpass filter. Then I will put a 100mV sine signal at the input and want to see the harmonic distortion at the output. Does anyone show me the procedure that how can I get the result? A sample is put in the attchment and that is what exactly I want.Thank you so much!

Re: The procedure of the simulation of the Harmonic Distorti

bhl3302 said:
Dear All, thank you for reading this topic. I just design an OTA and I will conect it to a capacitor to build a lowpass filter. Then I will put a 100mV sine signal at the input and want to see the harmonic distortion at the output. Does anyone show me the procedure that how can I get the result? A sample is put in the attchment and that is what exactly I want.Thank you so much!

When you want to see the distortion, you have to perform a transient simulation or a time domain measurement in order to evaluate the output waveform.
If you want to measure the distortion you have to measure/simulate the harmonics and to calculate the THD.

LvW said:
bhl3302 said:

When you want to see the distortion, you have to perform a transient simulation or a time domain measurement in order to evaluate the output waveform.
If you want to measure the distortion you have to measure/simulate the harmonics and to calculate the THD.

Hi,thank you for your reply, could you tell me the first situation, when I use the "dft"to calculate, how can I get the "20log" Y axis? Because I can just get a "log" but cannot get "20log".Thank you!

bhl3302 said:
Hi,thank you for your reply, could you tell me the first situation, when I use the "dft"to calculate, how can I get the "20log" Y axis? Because I can just get a "log" but cannot get "20log".Thank you!

It depends on the simulator engine you are using.

From the plotter it seems to me that you're using Cadence. If so, what simulator are you using, spice or spectre??

diemilio

diemilio said:
From the plotter it seems to me that you're using Cadence. If so, what simulator are you using, spice or spectre??

diemilio

Thank you man, I have solved the problem, thank you all the same!

then post the solution as well. it will be good for some one else.

hock

hock said:
then post the solution as well. it will be good for some one else.

hock

OK,after using transient analysis to get the signal you want, you can use the calculator to do the "dft", before clicking on the "evaluation"button, you can click"20dB" again to get a log Y axis.

[quote="bh, you have to perform a transient simulation or a time domain measurement in order to distortion you have to measure/simulate the harmonics and to calculate the THD.[/quote]

Hi,thank you for your reply, could you tell me the first situation, when I use the "dft"to calculate, how can I get the "20log" Y axis? Because I can just get a "log" but cannot get "20log".Thank you![/quote]

in cadence calculator, use dB20 fuc to plot your DFT results

that is dB20(DFT("V(....

good luck~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back