Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The integrator in the PID: What's its effect on Disturbance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali8

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am reading "[Small Unmanned Aircraft: Theory and Practice]" (page 7). We have the following Transfer Function (TF):

\[\phi(s)=\frac{a_{\phi 2}}{s(s+a_{\phi 1})}(\delta_a(s)+\frac{1}{a_{\phi 2}}d_{\phi 2})\]

where \[\delta_a\] is the output signal to the actuator and \[d_{\phi 2}(s)\] is an unwanted disturbance.

Initially, the disturbance is neglected, and only a PD controller is employed, and the resulting 2nd order TF (with \[k_p\] and \[k_d\])is compared with the general second-order TF:

\[H(s)=\frac{\omega_n^2}{s^2+2\zeta \omega_ns+\omega_n^2}\]

From which the value of \[k_d\] is obtained (and \[k_p=\frac{\delta_{a,max}}{e_{max}}\], where \[e_{max}\] is the maximum error).

Then, the disturbance is considered, and an integrator is added to get a full PID. The resulting TF (with \[k_p\],\[k_d\] and \[k_i\]) will be different, actually it will become 3rd order. However, the book does not update the values of the gains after the integrator has been added, and somehow claims that the integrator will basically nullify the disturbance, so no change is needed for the gains.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Hi,

The integrator adds up all errors. If you hve a constant error, then the output ofcthe integrater is constantely rising. This output is used to compensate the error (feedback). So the error runs to zero.

Hope this helps
Klaus

Hi,

The integrator adds up all errors. If you hve a constant error, then the output ofcthe integrater is constantely rising. This output is used to compensate the error (feedback). So the error runs to zero.

Hope this helps
Klaus

Fine, but still the gains derived for a PD system (2nd order) should be different from those for a PID system (3rd order) right?

Refer to the tuning suggestions.

They obviously assume that Ki is small enough not to affect the step response. This this should answer your question.

Refer to the tuning suggestions.

They obviously assume that Ki is small enough not to affect the step response. This this should answer your question.

Thank you, I see your point. However in page 11 you can see that this third pole is actually to the right of the 2nd order poles, so it should not and cannot be neglected. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back