Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The feedback resistor on a CMOS inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonwarrior

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would to know:
How the feedback resistor used with a CMOS inverter (working as an amplifier) bias the inverter to Vdd/2. An equation explaining this would be great.
How can I calculate the gain of this amplifier?
If I connect also a resistor ( R) to the inverter's input this would make the gain -Rf/R? (like an op amp inverter configuration)

Thanks in advance

It biases the inverter to the position of equal drain
currents, NMOS vs PMOS. This is unlikely to be exactly
VDD/2 (a matched resistor would be closer; NMOS vs
PMOS, there's nothing that says so).

This structure will bias the inverter or slaves at the
point of maximum sensitivity, which is useful.

However a inverter biased so, will tend to have a low
stage gain because both devices are at the border
between linear & saturation, well above VT, so gm is
well below peak and Zout sucks. It is nothing close to
an ideal op amp. But it is as cheap a shot as you can
get.

... If I connect also a resistor ( R) to the inverter's input this would make the gain -Rf/R? (like an op amp inverter configuration)

If you consider the low gain (order of -10) of a single inverter stage - s. also dick_freebird's answer above - a lower gain (e.g. -2, -3, or -5) can surely be attained by such a configuration.

I believe, that some comments are appropriate:
* For two ideal complementary transistors the transition from high (VDD) to low output level occurs at a common input voltage of VDD/2. The midpoint of this "quasi-linear" transition region also is at VDD/2. Therefore, a feedback resistor Rf between output and common input creates the correct bias (which is dc stable because of the negative feedback action).
* However, when the common input node is connected (via a capacitor) to a signal voltage the feedback resistor Rf also acts as a load resistor. Since the MOS pair acts as a current source, the load resistor determines the voltage gain of the whole circuit. Therefore, with an Rf value in the order of - let's say - 100 kohms you easily can get a gain of 100...500.
* Since this gain value is strongly dependent on MOS parameters it makes sense to apply signal feedback. For this purpose the input signal is applied through a series Rin-Cin combination. Then, the resulting gain is app. Rf/Rin. For this combination, stable gain values of 10..20 are not uncommon.

Added later: The CMOS pair acts (in principle) as a current source because resp. if the internal MOS output resistance is neglected.

Last edited:

hiiiiii LvW..

i need to know about self biased inverter ( output node ir drain of PMOS and NMOS is connected to Common Gate via a resistor) , i have gone through some paper in which they are using that as a buffer amplifer and according to paper self biased inverter reduces second harmonics.
thing i want to know is how this circuit works and how it reduces the second harmonics.

basically i am working on Power amplifer design for 402-405 MHz and power amplifer should deliver 500uwatt power to 50 ohm load.
i have attached the circuit diagram.please check that one and plzzz reply... abc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.