Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The difference between Vac and Vrms in rectifier circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navid T

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
about voltage

hello
waht different is between Vac and Vrms in rectifier circuits? if yes what relationship is between they?
thank you

Re: about voltage

I am not clear on what you mean by Vac. But Vrms is the root mean square of the signal. I mean, if you have an ac signal, the power part is actually caried by the rms value. There is another concept called Vpeak and Vpeak-peak, where there is a measurement of the peak signal. May be when you say Vac,it could be the peak signal you are talking of....

I hope that I am clear

All explained here:
**broken link removed**

about voltage

Suppose an AC source was connected across a resistance, then the heat produced across the resistor per cycle will be equal to the heat produced in an equal interval of time by a DC source of value Vrms connected across this resistor.

I think in your case Vac means AC amplitude value.
Vrms = Vac / (√2) or Vrms = Vac / 1.41

V ac Is the sinusoidal Voltage .
V rms is the root of mean square of the voltage being supplied (actually the peak value / amplitude of the V ac )

Vrms = V ac/√2 ;

If u have a bulb . u r supplying 20 V ac to it . It produces light bcuz of diddipation of power across the resistance in the bulb .

Now to achieve the same amount of power dissipation across the bulb (i.e. brightness ) u will have to supply DC V rms of 20 V ac
Vrms=20/√2 =14.14 V dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back