Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the difference between polycide and salicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengtang

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
polycide

I have a question. I don't know the difference between polycide and salicide.
PLZ

salicide

fengtang said:
I don't know the difference between polycide and salicide.
Why don't you ask Wiki? Here its answers:

The term salicide refers to a technology used in the microelectronics industry used to form electrical contacts between the semiconductor device and the supporting interconnect structure. The salicide process involves the reaction of a thin metal film with silicon in the active regions of the device, ultimately forming a metal silicide contact through a series of annealing and/or etch processes. The term "salicide" is a compaction of the phrase self-aligned silicide. The description "self-aligned" suggests that the contact formation does not require lithographic patterning processes, as opposed to a non-aligned technology such as polycide. The term salicide is also used to refer to the metal silicide formed by the contact formation process, such as "titanium salicide", although this usage is inconsistent with accepted naming conventions in chemistry.

Polycide is a silicide formed over polysilicon. Widely used in DRAMs. In a polycide MOSFET transistor process, the silicide is formed only over the polysilicon film as formation occurs prior to any polysilicon etch. Polycide processes contrast with salicide processes in which silicide is formed after the polysilicon etch. Thus, with a salicide process, silicide is formed over both the polysilicon gate and the exposed monocrystalline terminal regions of the transistor in a self-aligned fashion.

fengtang

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back