Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The best VHDL software simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenjoy

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to learn VHDL Programming and I am looking for a good software simulator, does VHDL systems use the same language for all platforms?

Thanks.

best vhdl software

Yes .. VHDL is not platform dependant .. it's not a software language like C/C++ .. and it doesn't run on a microprocessor/operating system platform .. so, it's completely independant ..
and the best simulator in my point of view is ModelSim ..

best hdl simulator

The Best simulator for VHDL would be Modelsim for a start, its easy to compile, simulate and debug,

vhdl easy simulator

Recently
I've compared Modelsim and ActiveHDL.
I have proved that ActiveHDl is better in many parameters.
Especially for beginners.
For example,
my eyes suffer less with Active HDL.
And windows,and buttons are more friendly.
Some easy things like wizards, Evita, help button, etc. drive the beginner through the design process.
But perhaps the very modelling in Modelsim may be something faster.

equal simulator

for u to be professional in RTL simulation , u have to chose one of these 3 simulators :
Modelsim
NC
VCS
these are considered the industry standard .. and the best from my point of view is ModelSim .. though I work with NC-VHDL , which is not bad ..

vhdl simulator

Best Simulator for VHDL is Modelsim.
NC-VHDL is also not far behind. but if you dont have access to industry standard ot you are looking for student level simulators, ActiveHDL is easy to use and good enough.

popular vhdl simulators

The best HDL simulator is ModelSim from Mentor graphics.
If u can down load the trial version and by putting a mail to mentor u can get a licence for the trial version.

OR

U can go for ActiveHDL its also a trial version (15 days only), u also get a EVITA tutorial pack with this.

best vhdl compiler simulator

The meaning "industry standard simulator" is nonsence.
Any VHDL simulator is standard one
because VHDL is standard, IEEE libraries are standards, gate model libraries
have to be equal in any simulator.
Any simulator has to provide equal results for equal input dates and programs.
Another simulator is bad simulator and is not worth to be selled.
From this point of view ModelSim and ActiveHDL, and many others
are equal industry standard simulators.

Another questions are
convinience,
designer productivity (project input, bug finding, etc)
modeling speed,
cost, support, etc.

Due to the convinience and designer productivity
I have selected Active HDL.
Some people select American mashine gun, some people select Russian one.
But they do the some result.

vhdl simulation best software

Aser said:
The meaning "industry standard simulator" is nonsence.
Any VHDL simulator is standard one
because VHDL is standard, IEEE libraries are standards, gate model libraries
have to be equal in any simulator.
Any simulator has to provide equal results for equal input dates and programs.
Another simulator is bad simulator and is not worth to be selled.
From this point of view ModelSim and ActiveHDL, and many others
are equal industry standard simulators.

Industry standard is something different from what u understand .. Industry standard means this is the simulator that's gaining hits from the industry .. in other words, when some company asks u for verifying a certain IP, they may ask specifically for ModelSim or NC or VCS ..

Another thing that only those who work in the industry (no the students and amatures) will understand is that there are indeed some differences between the simulators .. I myself experinced working with ModelSim and Aldec Active-HDL and one of my engineers found out that Aldec is giving results different from ModelSim , and this of course happens only in critical designs , not student level ..

Moreover, those companies who will ask for verification with a certain specific tool may target other facilities .. like Driver/Load tracing .. dataflow .. scripting .. mixed language support .. and much more .. these are not side issues in big designs .. so, if u want to do something specific, u may end up with using only one of the industry standards .. and for this very reason, u can find Mentor, Cadence and Synopsis leading the industry .. giving that VHDL is a standard for example ..

Heard about something called ( Psudo Standard ) ? .. hear of the formats that Synopsis put to synthesis ? .. it's not effectively a standard but it's widely used in the industry as a Psudo standard .. and it's effectively the industry standard ..

Status
Not open for further replies.