Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The battery of laptop - use or not with AC adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanvatha

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The percentage of my laptop's battery is 100%, and I use it by connect to the AC adapter. Does it can damage my laptop's battery? My laptop model is Fujitsu Lifebook LH700.

The battery of laptop.

It will be fine. LiIon batteriea and their chargers are a lot more sophisticated than old NiCad or NiMH ones.

Keith.

Re: The battery of laptop.

meanvatha said:
The percentage of my laptop's battery is 100%, and I use it by connect to the AC adapter. Does it can damage my laptop's battery? My laptop model is Fujitsu Lifebook LH700.

Yes, over time. It would be better if you remove the battery when using the AC adapter.

It will not affected to your laptop. But after some days the battery back up should be minimum. Therefore ,Twice or Thrice time in a week use laptop without AC adaptor connection and discharge the battery at minimum 7%.

Hi,
if your battery is 100% charge ,better run in battery mode .because if you run in power mode( adapter connect)more than 2hrs with battery full ,your laptop will getting hot.it's possible making damage or week other components . You can save your battery life also.

Wether you need battery supply or not, alternately switching between AC and battery will improve battery performance and hence maintain a healthy battery. But ultmately the life of the battery is governed by the memory inside the battery pack which will detect what time you have used the laptop and the battery and thus control the batteries effectiveness.

... But ultmately the life of the battery is governed by the memory inside the battery pack which will detect what time you have used the laptop and the battery and thus control the batteries effectiveness.

Did you say that laptop batteries have built in obsolescence? Memory? Are we talking about the old NiCad memory effect or something more physical, like an actual circuit? Run into this problem all of the time do I.

Yes...its not the old memory effect but a physical EEprom like 93xx or the 24cxx inside the battery packs. Google about the subject and you'll get a pileup of topics and discussions and too programming explanations and projects about how to reset the memory. But please dont ask me anything further coz i am not deep in to it. I have just discarded my old battery a couple of months back which gave me a good service life of about 3+ years. I have never attempted to reset it.
Some topics are given here
https://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/50844.aspx
**broken link removed**
https://www.motherboardpoint.com/resetting-my-laptops-battery-t39892.html
**broken link removed**

Safety EEPROM control only permanently shuts down battery pack if a cell is detected to have failed. This make it difficult to cut open pack and replace cells which might not match safety parameters of original battery cells.

Best storage of LiIon battery is at about 50% state of charge (3.8 vdc per cell, open circuit rested, typically two or three cells in series for laptop). Keeping battery at fully charge state (4.2vdc per cell) does accelerate aging.

Probably the most destructive factor to battery longevity is the heat generated by laptop. If your laptop runs on AC charger without installed battery you can stretch more longevity on battery by removing it from laptop when on AC pack.

Use with adaptor but disable charging
use laptop battery less................and charge battery less.....
try to use it in adapter (disable charging)....
if its above 80% the also disable charging..........
if your on the move or want to use it without charger .....
ive been doing likw this on my studio for more than 1.5 year..........
my battery(6cell) wil now giv 3.5+hrs backup..(on powersaver mode)...

Just for info

Dell 1525 laptop with extended Lion battery used as a desktop PC for three years+
AC adaptor plugged in 24/7 365

No problems.

jack

It's better to remove it when you are connected with AC adapter.

it will be fine
when the battery is fully charge, the laptop will automatically use AC adapter as the power rather than using battery
i think some laptop cannot do that, after battery keep charging the battery will become weaker and weaker from day to day

Why?

jack

Only because of heat that laptop generates accelerates battery degradation. LiIon charger circuitry does cease any charge when battery fully charged.

I always use the AC adapter while working on my Dell Vostro 1015, even when the battery shows 100% charged, and didn't faced any problem with it since 1 year, my battery backup is 3 and 1/2 hour without the AC supply.

The trick is you need to do a charge/discharge cycle once in a while to keep your battery alive. You should unplug your AC at least once a week to completly discharge your battery to prevent oxidation. Even if laptop battery chargers are cheaply built, it wouldnt do more damage than always keeping your battery to full capacity.

You should unplug your AC at least once a week to completly discharge your battery to prevent oxidation.

Where did you get that fiction? LiIon battery has no memory effect like NiCads and longevity is reduced by deep discharge.

Only positive thing of a complete discharge would be to reset the battery gauge calibration.

LiIon battery longevity is degraded by heat. In a laptop, the heat generated by the running computer, not the charging process or leaving charger connected to power the laptop, is the most degrading effect on battery.

Voltage greater then about 3.9 vdc per cell does have some degradation in longevity so storage should be done at about 50% state of charge but not allowed to self discharge below about 3.0 vdc per cell. Self discharge of LiIon is very low. Frequent topping charge to 4.2 vdc per cell reduces battery longevity.

Last edited:

It's pretty obvious there's a lot of people posting on this thread that don't know their batteries from a hole in the ground. Apparently, they wrongly beleive that Li-On batteries are simailr to NiCad and suffer the same problems.

Li-On batteries do not exhibit any form of "memory" and do not require deep cycling, and may actually be damaged by it. They are required to have a protective circuit in place to prevent deep discharge.

They will perform best if maintained at full charge - as a matter of fact, it's a requirment of the charger that it provide a top-off charge periodically.

If the laptop is designed properly the heat will not significantly affect the life of the battery. Follow your laptop manufacturer's recommendations, which typically will state that you should keep the charger plugged in whenever possible.

They will perform best if maintained at full charge - as a matter of fact, it's a requirment of the charger that it provide a top-off charge periodically.

You are right, there are a lot of people posting that don't know their batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back