Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The analysis of RLC in series is inconsistent with simulation results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxgeneral

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I simulated a simple circuit with RLC in series under Cadence Spectre. L and C resonate at 1MHz. A sinasoidal source with an amplitude of 600mV stimulates RLC at 1MHz. And, R=50Ohm, L=25.33mH, C=1pF.

My thought is, LC gets its minimum impedance at 1MHz. So in steady responses LC has a very low voltage, wheras R has a large one reaching 600mV.

However, the simulation result is reverse. That is, LC has a very large voltage, nearly 600mV. R has a small one, only 20mV.

I did another simulation with L=25.33uH and C=1nF. Then, LC has a very low voltage, and R has a large one reaching 600mV.

This confuses me a lot.
Anyone can help me?
Thanks a lot!

Phase.

If you look at the phase of the voltage across the inductor and capacitor at resonance you will see they are perfectly in anti-phase and the same amplitude so they cancel out. So, the result is a purely resistive load.

Scaling your values changes the Q. The higher inductor has a lower reactance but you have left your resistor the same so the Q goes down. The voltage across the resistor therefore goes up.

Try changing the frequency slightly and see what happens to the phase and voltage of the various signals.

Keith.

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

By the way, when doing your simulations you need to ensure a very small timestep. At 1MHz I would suggest 2ns maximum with the sort of Q you are using. This may seem extreme but with resonant circuits it will make a huge difference. In a transient analysis the resonance will appear to be in the wrong place and all sorts of voltages/currents will be wrong. For example, your resistor voltage should be 600mV not 20mV. If I run a simulation with 2ns step I get the correct voltage. With a 2ns step I get a considerably lower voltage.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your great help.I've tried again with a smaller step of 2ns. And correct tran simulation results were obtained. Thanks.

By the way, why does a higher Q make a spurious tran simulation result? Thank you very much.

Regards,

Haoran Hou

Seriously speking, I don't see the purpose of simulating a linear RLC network with sine excitation in a transient analysis. AC analysis will do the same without any timestep problems. Of course it's a suitable test case to learn about the limitations of transient analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back